PDA

View Full Version here: : A rainy day project - 12 volt supply for you Canon DSLR

Garyh
24-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi folks,
Here is a quick project for one of those rainy days/nights!
Since upgrading my DSLR from the 300D to a 20D, I find that the battery life is considerably less and with 2 batteries I am lucky to get 2 hours of lights. The colder weather has also helped to shorten the life as well.
I decided I need something better and if I can run it from 12v DC that would be perfect..:)
Done some research on the net and was going to make a little 12v > 8v regulated converter for this but while scratching about found a old Dicksmith 12v Dc adjustable regulated converter. This can handle 1.5A so should run the camera no problem and with a 7.5v selection that would work nicely.
Found one of my old original BP-511 batteries and with care split it open with a stanely knife, unsoldered the batteries and the little pcb inside just leaving the metal contacts inside. Made up a lead drilled a hole in the battery case and a lttle soldering and there you have it. :)
Cant see why this won`t work on most older canon DSLRs including the 10D, 20D, 30D and the 300D. Might also work on the other models like the 350D and the 400D with the right battery to butcher!
In the 20D I have noticed that there are only two conecters used on the battery, the plus and minus ones while the other two are not used. So any Canon DSLR that doesn`t use more than the power conecters should work.
Gave it a good half hour test on a 12v-7.2Ah battery with no problems.
Maximum current draw was around 330ma during bulb exposures while everything else showed a lower reading...
Heres a pic of what I made up and it cost $0 to boot..:D
Jaycar sell something similar which would be ideal for $25...still a cheap
way to run your camera!

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0218&CATID=27&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=665

cheers and hope someone finds this useful!
Gary

Bassnut
24-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Carefull, a supply I built the same way you did for a 300D (worked perfectly) didnt on a 40D (same battery). Canon I guess constantly tries to improve battery capacity algorithims, therefore making power supply battery simulation more difficult.

Garyh
24-07-2008, 08:21 PM
yes, I have heard this also. Probably wouldn`t work with a 450D as well.
But good for older models only.

gbeal
24-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Good project Gary.
But have you tried it, any smoke yet, LOL?
Gary

AlexN
24-07-2008, 08:53 PM
yeah... I thought it safer to buy one... however I have a 300D that I could have a go at this for...

Tandum
24-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Jeff is going to try buying a canon AC adapter and replacing the AC supply with one of those jaycar jobs or similar. Sounds like a plan to keep AC off the scope.

iceman
25-07-2008, 05:17 AM
I've got an AC one already but need a 12v one - i'm guessing I just need the right connector to hook into the battery.

This is good though! Thanks Gary.

Garyh
25-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Have powered the camera up a few times and taken pics in normal and bulb and previewed these images and works perfectly.....the output from the converter sits nicely at around 7.6v.
My only concern was the current draw on this little dc converter thinking it may get a bit hot, but barely gets warm...
To run off AC, all you would need is a good regulated AC to 12v 1A plugpack.

Bloodbean
25-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any good options for a 12v supply for a Canon 450D?

Thanks,

Troy