PDA

View Full Version here: : Order of Australia

glenc
09-06-2008, 09:34 AM
I was just looking at the OA list.
Nobody received an award for service to astronomy.
Maybe we could nominate someone next year.
There were 8 awards for service to cricket.

renormalised
09-06-2008, 10:02 AM
That's the problem with Australia, it doesn't know where it's priorities should be.

GrahamL
09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I always found it odd glen that ball chasers are held in such high regard
when it comes to these awards . :)

TrevorW
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
How about nominating the founders of IceInSpace for services too amatuer astronomy in Australia.

Lets start a poll

Ric
09-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think it's a question of priorities, It's just a case of Australia being a sporting orientated nation but I do see a lot of nominations in the fields of science just not in Astronomy.

Another thought, how do you go about nominating someone?

I've never actually seen a form or a website to do so.

Cheers

Terry B
09-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Contact your local member. I got some forms from John Anderson in the past.

Ric
09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks Terry

Suzy_A
09-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I was going to nominate my boss (he's a physician) for an OA. I've been told it takes about 2 years to get it through and the nominee shouldn't be told about it.

renormalised
09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
See John Howard has been nominated for a OC (Companion of the Order of Australia) and the Queen nominated him for a KG (Knight of the Garter). I can just see it now....little Johnny on his trusty steed, dressed in his suit of armour, going off to battle evil labor party dragons:scared::eyepop::P:D

glenc
09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Science gets 10 awards including 5 in vet or medical science.

DJDD
09-06-2008, 03:47 PM
should any parliamentarian (or ex-parliamentarian) ever receive an award like the Companion of the Order of Australia (OC) for the work they did as a minister? :shrug:

The citation listed on the Honours page for John Howard is:

"For distinguished service to the Parliament of Australia, particularly as Prime Minister and through contributions to economic and social policy reform, fostering and promoting Australia's interests internationally, and the development of significant philanthropic links between the business sector, arts and charitable organisations."

But as prime minister he should provide distinguished service to the parliament and do the rest of the stuff listed. it's in the job description.:screwy:

and being prime minister should be honour enough...:poke: