PDA

View Full Version here: : Secondary Dew Heater

gbeal
31-05-2008, 06:57 PM
OK, I need some help here, especially from your electronic tech types.
I am a klux, big time, when it come to electronics.
The requirement is to produce a dew heater for the secondary on my 16" truss dob, and after reading the recent posting by Astronut I reckon it is time to get amongst this.
I need help to decide which resistors to buy and use. In the past I have used short lengths of nichrome wire, encased it in a sheath and wrapped it around the objective or eyepiece, and powered it with 12 volts.
Assuming someone can help, what I need is the exact JayCar part number or whatever identifier, so I c an go buy it/them and solder it all together. It doesn't need a fancy PCB as far as I can tell and while the temp on/off system would be nice I can live without this as well.
Any takers?
Thanks
Gary

Starkler
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Simplest solution would just be to buy one of these (http://www.astrosystems.biz/dewgrd.htm)

For around $50 you get a pre made unit thats temperature regulated.

gbeal
01-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks Geoff. It is looking that way. I just wanted to see if I could by-pass that and do it myself, albeit without temp compensation.
Gary

Starkler
01-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Well its possible but IMO not worth it..

Lets see, the commercial unit says 2-4 watts of power in their design which should be enough to overheat the secondary if continuously on.

Ohms law says R=V^2/P

So for 12v , 144/2watts = 72 ohms worth of resistors.
Resistors come in standard values 10,12,15,18,20,22,27,33,47,56,68... .

4x18ohm resistors would theoretically do it, but in 1/2 watt format they will cook if their generated heat cant be adequately transferred to the mirror.

Personally I think its a bad idea to go down this path and have heat plumes streaming off your secondary mirror when such a cheap commercial solution will do it right and regulate the mirror temp to be a degree above ambient.

CoombellKid
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Gary,

I'm with Geoff on the AstroSystems dew guard. I'm getting one for my
16" dob too. You can also source them from SDM (http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/) in Oz. I might work
out better on freight.

regards,CS

gbeal
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Guys,
OK, tightwad as I am you are both right. My limited knowledge, plus the relative cost difference is insignificant. Why not.
Thanks for the link Rob, and post is free in Oz too.
Regards,
Gary

CoombellKid
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Gary,

Well you could buy one (a DG2:thumbsup:) and post it to me :D. That way you
could take advantage of the free postage :D.

Let me know if I need to cancel my order :lol:

but seriously, I've heard good reports about them.

regards,CS

erick
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Anyone have experience fitting one of these DG heaters to the secondary of a 12" GSO newtonian? I looked at the secondary in place last night while I was hitting it with the hair dryer and couldn't quite figure how to fit a heater?

Yes, OK, I'll make a dew shield and try that first :)

CoombellKid
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Erick,

I think you would probably have to change your style of secondary holder.

regards,CS

JethroB76
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Didn't Astronut fit one to his lightbridge?

astronut
02-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Erick,
Have a look at the thread I started in this section.
If the secondary holder is the same in the G.S.O scopes as in the LB's, I can highly recommend that you carry it out.
Its probably a job left for a full moon period, so that you don't miss out on any observing.
If you need further info, just let me know.

John:)

erick
03-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks John. That looks very promising. Sorry, I should have searched better. Eric:)

Garyh
03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Gary,
Some resistors in series to make up 1-2w output should work well to keep the dew off most nights I say.
Say like 4 - 1/2 watt 27 ohm resistors should get you around 1.3w or 4 at 22 ohm which shall give you around 1.7 watts.
Just solder them in series...ie: end to end like sausages ..lol
Should work well I say.
My 6" has only 1 watt of heating and it has never fogged up and you cannot feel any heat by touching the stalk or side of the mirror.
cheers Gary