PDA

View Full Version here: : LX200 Handbox

Nifty
27-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Hello all,
Has anyone out there ever used an "extension lead" on the LX200 handbox and how far would it work? I plan to operate about 10 metres from the scope and thought that doing this would be cheaper than the radio remote handbox. I would imagine the data rate is not that fast so it may be possible. The alternative of course is remote control software and the RS232 port on the scope but that uses up a COM1 port on the laptop which has none! I may have to get one of those USB to 4 COM port adaptors.
I also would like to know what is the recommended version of Photoshop to use for astrophotography?
Cheers
Nev

mdgodf
02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi Nev,
I recently went through the process of connecting my laptop to my LX200. It's really very easy. I bought the 'scope to serial cable from Bintel (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm) as well as a USB to serial cable/adaptor. Bintel advised not installing the drivers that came with the USB/ serial adaptor but rather download the drivers from Meade (http://www.meade.com/support/downloads.html). Meade also has some softwear for removing USB/serial drivers if you have already gone ahead and installed some. I also use a USB 'extension lead' with and it works fine

Nifty
02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Mark
what I was really after is whether it was possible to make up an extension lead so that the HBX is in the room along with the laptop rather than use up a com port or uSB port.
You have given me food for thought though. I will have a word with Bintel. Have you done any astrophotography? If so, what version of Photoshop would you recommend?

Cheers
Nev

Nifty
02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Mark
I forgot to ask how far you can go with a USB extension lead?
How do like the LX200? As you have probably realised I have yet to get mine. I will be getting it in the next week or so. Any accessories you would recommend?
Cheers
Nev

mdgodf
04-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Nev,

Have you asked an IT/data technician about having an extension lead made up? I doubt you’d be able to buy one. I haven’t tested how far a USB extension lead will go but I’m sure it would be 10 meters. Someone from a good Computer shop could tell you that though I’m sure. I have 2 USB extension leads, each 3 meters. I tired it with the 2, just to see and it worked fine. I normally only need the one though.

Haven’t done any astrophotography (yet) but do have a lot of experience with PS CS2 (and the two versions before that) on ‘normal’ photography. As far as I understand it the Photoshop features needed for astrophotography have been in Photoshop for many versions and the newer versions don’t add much more that’s needed for astrophotography (but they are useful for normal photography) so you could buy an old version at a lot less – if you can find one – you could always upgrade from that.

Also programs like paintshop pro have the same features just in different spots and so are less useful if you are using one of the books written for Photoshop and astrophotography but do have the same functions and are cheaper.

I really like the LX200, works in everyway how I expected. I’d been out of amateur astronomy for many years having had an 8” f8 Newtonian on an EQ mount some 25 years ago and what a difference computerised ‘scopes make!

Apart from books, and ancillary stuff like power pack/battery the only other stuff I’ve bought are eyepieces (Vixen 40mm LV and 8mm LVW and a 12mm Orion reticule for alignment), a green laser so I can point things out to my wife – to try and keep her interested and dew shield and dew heater, just for the corrector plate at this stage.

I also picked up a cheaper Crayford focuser (Bintel branded) as I got tired of the cable for the Mead electronic micro focuser getting tangled and also I use glasses for reading but not looking through the ‘scope so to see the buttons on the hand box I need to keep taking them off and putting them back on which became a pain to do just to adjust fine focus. There is hardly any image shift when you focus with the Crayford focuser if you are careful. Though I ought to be able to remember where the buttons are...

I also use skytools2 (http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html (http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html)) for observation logging and planning and also controlling the go-to aspects of the scope which makes life really easy. Compared to the old 8” f8 I do a lot more looking now then trying to find – which I was never very successful at.

My ‘must haves’ for accessories would be in order…some more eyepieces, dew shield, planning/logging software, Crayford focuser and dew heater. The green laser is not fit for purpose by the way! There a lot more things I think I ‘must have’ but unfortunately my pocket says otherwise e.g. Vixen 17mm LVW.

I would also recommend doing a 'calibrate sensors' as soon as you can - it's explained in the manual - that will help with getting alignment stars in the finder first up so you can centre on them easily in future setups. You need to be able to identify sigma octanus though as it will slew to it and ask you to centre on it during the process which is near impossible from a suburban Sydney backyard. I addressed that by first setting up using some alignment stars that I knew (2 star alignments in the manual) doing some gotos to stars that I could easily identify and ‘syncing’ on them – to make sure the alignment was accurate. Then go-to sigma octanus and mark the position on the alt and az scales on the ‘scope with a china-graph pencil. Then when I did the calibrate sensors all I had to do to find sigma octanus was line up the marks on the scales. Now whenever I set up the alignment stars are in the finder.

Nifty
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks Mark
I don't think the HBX is a USB device though I could be wrong. I would have thought it was something like a COM or in house serial connected device. Who knows!. I suppose the best way is to make up a 10 metre lead and try it.
OK on Photoshop. I thought that was the case. I have a couple of other progs that might work but I am not sure if they can handle separate RGB images and combine them.
Thanks for all the other info. I have made a note of the skytools2 web address. Sound very interesting.
The dew heater would appear to be a must for my location. I might try and build the one described in the projects section here in IIS.
Must go as its getting late and I need my beauty sleep!
Cheer
Nev

mdgodf
05-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Nev, sorry didn't mean to imply that I thought the HBX was a USB type of device - I'm sure it's not and is a serial device.

Good luck with it all!