PDA

View Full Version here: : Time to take out a contract on a lightglobe that stays on all night ....

Ian Robinson
23-05-2008, 08:29 PM
:help:

Any takers ?

Lismore Bloke
23-05-2008, 08:34 PM
A squirt of cold water on a hot light globe should do the trick.
Failing that the half inch ball bearing and a shanghai (catapault).

xelasnave
23-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Can you hide behind a screen placed near your scope..the main problem is looking at it and destroying your night vision. Shield it if possible and outta site outta mind may kick in..
alex

leon
23-05-2008, 10:16 PM
If It is your neighbours than talk to them, it really works, I have done this on a number of occasions and they were very helpful.

Leon

Ian Robinson
23-05-2008, 10:52 PM
It wont work with him - we've had problems with him since he moved in - he's the neighboour from hell - drugs , schitso , alcoholic , never done a days work since his mum bought the house for him , very loud endless music (to hide his screaming and raving and ranting (but not since the AVO as I had that included).

.... he flips out when he stops taking his meds and gets onto the booze and pot and other stuff , he went crazy early one morning anout 18 months ago and wound up waking up the family in the wee small hours (it was dark) by banging on the front winds and doors and walls screaming he was going to kill us , so I called the cops when he refused to leave (wife was terrified) and wound up taking out a AVO on him , which I renewed last October , and plan to renew this year too.

I want nothing to do with him , and communicating with him is totally out of the question .... I live in hope that he'll flip out again and we can then have him prosecuted and taken away , or he is commited (permanently).

I am tempted to give the globe a poke with a steel spike on the end of long wood pole .... I considered the sling shot idea (but don't think my aim is good enough and if he hears the project hitting his house - I'll have trouble explaining what I was doing to cops I think. The other neighbours (other side of him) have big vulnerable windows that I'd likely hit if I missed.

A pneumatic slug gun would be good , but I don't think they are sold anymore.

Starkler
23-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Looks like your best option is to build a screen of some type.

Were you looking for a sensible answer? :whistle:

Zuts
23-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi,

Wait until he goes out, then nip over and replace it with a broken bulb. If he is as bad as you say, eventually he will assume there is something wrong with the power and stop replacing them :)

Paul

edwardsdj
24-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I agree with the screen. Lights are just a part of the reality of living in the suburbs. It is just so inappropriate to act illegally yourself (by inflicting any form of property damage): that would be stooping to his level.

A screen on the property fence as close as possible to the light could shield a large part of your yard from it.

Ian Robinson
24-05-2008, 03:31 AM
That strikes my fancy ..:thumbsup:.. how do you kill a fluorescent compact light globe without breaking it ??

Ian Robinson
24-05-2008, 03:35 AM
His light is about 20 ft off the ground , so it would have to be pretty big screen (at least 15 ft high and 30 - 40 ft long , that's a big expensive screen no matter how you do it and major undertaking putting it up and taking it down) to block it from lighting up my backyard which his light does very brightly. It's murder on my night vision too.

Mind you - maybe a bit of PVC tube on the end of bit long dowel that I miight sneak into his yard and place over his globe temporarily might an answer if I can get the right length and tube diameter.

If he caught me in his yard -- it wont be pretty though.

mark3d
24-05-2008, 09:58 AM
maybe point out he often leaves the light on and with the rising price of electricity etc he could save $x per month by turning it off =)

acropolite
24-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Easy, most compact flouros won't tolerate dimming, get one and dim it until it no longer works.

Starkler
24-05-2008, 10:12 AM
The point is he and the neighbour dont get on. Maybe if known that the light is a source of aggravation the wattage might go up :lol:

Alchemy
24-05-2008, 10:36 AM
If you havent got a reasonable response from a reasonable request, you are not likely too now...... just build a screen, i tried reasoning with my neighbours when they were building, but they are just (politeness stops me from being explicit). Their response to my reasonable request was to install 8 floodlights and about 20 other lights of various kinds then leave them all on all night.... and im not kidding you. So we dont talk and im hoping a bushfire will burn their house down , but i wont be breaking the law..... Enough ranting from me.

Heres the screen i built for my neighbours its 5 metres high about on the left side, just heavy duty builders plastic on a steel rod top and bottom drawn up like blinds with multiple cords joined together. Galvanised steel poles for the rest.... as far as i know no permit required as its not permanently up.

Clive

TrevorW
24-05-2008, 10:37 AM
You know you are within your rights to have the offending light extinguished. Most Councils have rules and regulations concerning light pollution. Check it out but if all legal avenues fail well what can I say.

Ian Robinson
24-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought that too so wrote a letter and I asked the local council and their response was they have no power to do anything to help me. (This is Lake Macquarie City Council for you .... pro developer , and a waste of space for residents.)

I am sure he turns the light on to annoy me , I've noticed it only gets turned on when my vehicle is in the driveway , backyard or garage , and it gets turned on if off almost straight away when I arrive home if at night.

The guy is a real nitwit and like I said , he is literally the neighbour from hell (I am not exaggerating).

So I am in position where I have no option but something illegal , the screen option involves money I am not prepared to spend and will only let him think he has had a win.

Jeff
24-05-2008, 04:41 PM
shift ..... you'll be happier and safer.

Doesn't matter if he thinks he wins ... he obviously has some issues beyond his control and sadly, will always lose.

:mad:

PCH
24-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Last year we bought a house to renovate in a nice suburb of Perth. The owner was identical to Ian's neighbour - drugs, loud music, noisy comings and goings, threatening behaviour etc.

Jeepers, the neighbours were so happy to see him go that they held a street party to celebrate - with us as guests of honour. Sounds crazy, but these guys had been subjected to years of living with this fear of not knowing what's coming next. Several neighbours stated that they would have loved to have been able to move away rather than live next to druggie, but the sheer delapidated state of the house near theirs devalued their homes by many thousands. Plus this dump would simply put anyone off wanting to come within a mile !

It doesn't seem fair does it. I know what I'd do to these types given half a chance........ and it ain't pretty :P

You have my sympathies Ian:thumbsup:

Cheers

IanL
24-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I heard of someone in Scotland where I used to live with problems with his neighbors.
It got sorted down the local pub with exchange of money.
Glasgow style

Ian Robinson
24-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I live in hope that he'll take a bad hit (of speed , ice , meth or heroine or what ever he uses as well as pot) .... or that the cops will raid his place (I'm sure he cultivated cannibus in his spare bedrooms (lights are on all the time) , or the ATO will catch up with him (and he'll have to sell) .

We've been here for 27 years (never had a problem with any neigbours until he showed up , and then problems started straight away) , the whole neighbourhood are wary of him and the people who frequent his place.

I worked very hard to buy my home as the sole breadwinner for my family , I wont be forced out the likes of this guy (though I am looking for a tree change .... but he doesn't really enter into the equation . though my wife is scared of him now and leaving him behind wont hirt , and looking for a new job somewhere adventurous and warm).

I'd rather put my place up for rent if we eventually relocate and buy a new home somewhere else , but with him next door , this could be difficult.

Ian Robinson
24-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Got the email address of the big boys in kilts ? .... I need their services ...:help:

IanL
24-05-2008, 08:02 PM
This is the sort of guy your looking for straight through the front door. No messing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHP3hP_0Pg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3oBwwDlL4&feature=related

Hope this makes you laugh. Needs volume

koputai
24-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Just keep turning his power off, easily done at the meter box, especially if he has an RCD fitted in there. All the better if he is on dialysis.
Full-on warfare might be fun. Power him down, kill all his trees, super glue his door locks and windows, turn off his water overnight. There's plenty of fun to be had, and I'm sure you can find more on the net. Send him into such a schitzo attack that he's scheduled (locked away). There's no place for people like that in modern society. You already have the fuzz on your side, use your advantage.
Short of that, the shanghai is the best solution.

Cheers,
Jason.

Doug
24-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Ian,
If you're right about the internal lights burning all the time, maybe he is growing 'happy weed'. Are those lights same/similar to hydroponics lights? The Drug squad might like to take an active interest in his interior decor.
This might also explain why he turns this outside light on each night....can't have people sneeking up and peeking through the windows at his gardening efforts, can he?
Can you plant a smallish tree near the fence, one that won't grow so high it affects your night sky, but bushy enough to shade your yard?

luck,
Doug

TrevorW
24-05-2008, 11:14 PM
It's a sad society when good law abiding people are subjected to such things, one wonders what the world's coming too when a hard working family nerd has too put up with this crap.

Ian Robinson
25-05-2008, 12:04 AM
A tree will obstruct my driveway and I wont be able the car into my garage.

I don't know what kind of lights he has in the spare bedrooms (I can't see into them (he has blinds he can see out with but you can't see in through from outside), all I know is the lights never go off at night) and for someone who hasn't worked a day in over 15 years , he still found the money to be able afford the biggest TV , the best sound system , nice furniture , and often I can smell burning pot (I picked up a discarded improvised bog once in the carpark at Stockton and smelt it out of couriousity (a stench that is unforgetable) peeuw !!! I know what that smells like , unmistakeable)).

I have told the local cops , and the local magistrate when I took out the AVO , about these things , so have 2 or 3 other neighbours that I know off ....

Maybe I need to call them again , and again , and again , ....

Doug
25-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok Ian, I gather he is a next door neighbour. When you described him as a 'neighbour from hell' my mind turned to my own neighbour from hell that lives behind me. Apart from flooding my back yard with light, they have planted this thumping big pine tree right up against the back fence. It blocks about 70% of my southern sky up to an elevation of about 70deg. His flood light was easy, I just flood his yard and kitchen with my own flood light until he gets the message. The pine tree though? Anybody got an army of trained borers for hire? maybe a pine specific collar rot disease or such would do.

Doug

xstream
25-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Borax comes to mind.:whistle:

PCH
25-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Ian, at least you can be fairly sure he's not a heroin addict. As I understand it, they can't stand any sort of bright light. In the druggie dump we renovated a couple of years ago, all the light bulbs (except one or two) had been removed (presumably so they couldn't be accidentally turned on). My enquiries led me to the above explanation.

As an aside, it sounds like our druggie wasn't as well off as yours Ian, as the level of squalor inside this place was unimaginable. And the only TVs were the broken ones holding up doors that had been ripped off the hinges :P

Needless to say we got it for a 'good' price and made it into a little palace :D Interestingly, $5k in cash in a bag was part of the settlement deal - for the next purchase presumably :screwy:

Cheers,

Ian Robinson
25-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I have only had glimpses through his front door while driving past , and that's what I saw - got no idea how clean it is inside , never been inside to see.

He gets lots of visitors , often at strange hours - I hear them coming and going when up late studying (as I often do through the night). The whole neighbourhood knows he supplies , this is likely where he got the money for his goodies.

Ian Robinson
25-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Ring bark it late one night when they are out.

astro_nutt
25-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Ian,
Might be time to get some real action and step on a few toes..get on the media..they loves it when the powers that be allow some creep to be a pest to everyone..unruly, suspicious behaviour...so send a note to them that you will consider taking action that may embarrass the clowns in their ivory towers!!!..Failing that..park your car in the next street..then he won't know you're home...or do what I did.. I built a screen around the scope about 2.5 metres high..(4 panels each 2.5 H x 1.5 W and arranged in a semi-circle and about 1.2 metres from the mount)..I used a double layer of builders black plastic on a wooden frame which folds up for storage...
Good luck!!

badchap
26-05-2008, 10:03 PM
1800 333 000 .

Ian Robinson
26-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Is that the NSW Drug Squad ? Local cops seem not to be interested .

badchap
26-05-2008, 11:37 PM
ph number for Crimestoppers.

Just another suggestion - I do not know if it would be effective, or how long it would take to see results, but they collect that info to be passed on to the most appropriate section later for their perusal and consideration.. local police may be busy with just the day to day general duties stuff..or, he might be already of interest to some other squad or group, so the locals might not be willing to tread on anyone else's toes or an already existing investigation.

Ian Robinson
26-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Just called them. Made the report and told them I don't my name mentioned .

Will also give Centrelink's dob-in-a-cheat free number too , tomorrow.

Don't think anything will come of these actions.

Doug
27-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey, all this just to be kept in the 'Dark'! :P
Some seek enlightenment though study and contemplation of the night sky while others....well as Nino Culotta wrote (about Amateur Astronomers?) They're a weird mob'.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
cheers,
Doug

Doug
27-05-2008, 11:16 AM
seriously though Ian, I hope you get speedy and satisfactory results.

Doug

wasyoungonce
27-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Just Dob (pardon the pun) him into the "Tax man"...."undeclared earnings"...it's un-Australian not to pay tax on your earnings.

The "Tax man" will sort him out!:rofl: