PDA

View Full Version here: : My first Jupiter - 06/05/2008 3:23am

edwardsdj
06-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

Very excited to have made my first imaging attempt at Jupiter this morning :) Conditions from my location in Brisbane were better than I've seen them in months - until the dew set in around 3:30am.

Admittedly, I had a lot of practice on Mars and Saturn but now I understand what good data looks like!

Anyway, sorry I haven't done anything more than stack 1200 of 1800 frames and apply some wavelets in Registax.

I'm thrilled to have captured Callisto :) I don't think it's too much of a strech to think there's some detail on it I might be able to tease out with more processing.

Anyway, I used the C8 and SPC900NC (without cutoff filter) with a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow but this time I added my diagonal between the Barlow and the webcam to increase the image scale. I can't afford any more equipment right now so have to improvise. I'll have to read the article of determining focal length but it must be greater than f/20.

Any comments, processing, criticism, suggestions most welcome.

Have fun,
Doug

AlexN
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Nice first shot!

My spc900nc arrived today! first light tonight! If i can capture something half that good I'll be stoked.

matt
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey hey Doug!

Great way to open the Jupiter account:thumbsup:

I was out as well this morning around the same time, and captured a very similar scene with the DMK and C9.25.

The seeing here at Wynnum wasn't too flash, though.

I'm sure we've got some cracker seeing on the way. If not this week...soon. It just has to happen!!!:lol:

Well done...and keep those images coming. Jove is getting bigger and brighter all the time.

Robert_T
06-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Doug, that is a truly commendable shot of Jupiter especially for a first go.

Most impressed and expecting big things from you with a start like this:thumbsup:

madtuna
06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
The only criticism I have is...it's not my photo!
Well done!!

Inmykombi
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, what a beauty of an image.

Keep up the great work.

Geoffro

davidpretorius
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
top stuff Doug

John K
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Great first go! That's excellent, you should be really happy with that, well done.

edwardsdj
07-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Sorry to take so long to get back to you all. I've been out getting ready for another go but the dew got the better of me by 1am tonight so I've packed up already. Really need a dew solution in Brisbane :(

The SPC900NC is a great unit. I've been thrilled with mine. My first light was of Saturn and it was hopeless compared to this.

Hope first light goes well for you. Please make sure you post the results (no matter how bad) :)

Thanks so much for looking Matt. Your advice when I first got my cam was invaluable.

Seeing wasn't that good for me either but it kicked but on what I was getting to the North-West when imaging Mars and Saturn.

I really hope better seeing eventuates for all of us in Brisbane.

I'm very excited about Jupiter and can't wait for it to get a bit bigger :)

Thanks very much for your kind comments Robert.

Thanks for looking Steve.

Thanks Geoffro :)

Thanks David. I've yet to process each of the RGB channels seperately as you have suggested to me in the past. Made a start today (following Mike's article) but it's just so time consuming.

I've got a long way to go before my Jupiters are even close to yours :)

Thanks so much John :)

Lester
07-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Great start to your Jupiter account and far better than my first attempts at this object.

AlexN
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
doug, my firstlight has been posted... its laughable in comparison to your joop!

Matty P
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Excellent first Joop Doug, you should be very happy.

Looking forward for more.

Well done.

bird
07-05-2008, 08:01 PM
That's a terrific first image Doug, well done.

cheers, Bird

edwardsdj
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks heaps Lester.

As I say, this Joop was far from my first light. I thought your first light was pretty good Alex, thanks heaps for posting it.

Thanks Matty, I'm very keen to image the GRS now!

Thanks heaps Bird. I just reread your aritcle on calculating focal length and I seem to have been close to 7m for this image. f/35 on the C8 has me very excited. I'm finally getting the image scale I need :)

edwardsdj
10-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi All,

Finally found the time to process the red, green and blue channels seperately as descirbed in Mike's article and pointed out to me by David with my Saturn images.

Focal ratio was f/35 (as per Bird's article).

The colour is heaps better and there is so much more detail. Still to get around to processing Callisto seperately though.

Thanks for looking.

Have fun,
Doug

Dennis
10-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Top stuff Doug - just love the detail on the moon Callisto.

Cheers

Dennis