PDA

View Full Version here: : 40D mod

Bassnut
28-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Im about to mod/trash my brand new 40D. The instructions by Bob McCourt http://strgazr27.zenfolio.com/p71444939 look pretty comprehensive. Ive done a 300D with no drama, so I recon this wont be too hard. Has any one done this themselves?, any hints?, did you use Bobs tutorial?, how did it go?.

Bob mentions he left the "AA" dust removal vibrator glass in, but there is no mention if this glass then affected imaging, or if the vibrator still worked after the mod !.

If you have a critical "stop now" comment, nows the time :D.

iceman
28-03-2008, 07:42 PM
argh! I envy you but i'm scared for you at the same time :)

I'd love a 40DH!

Zuts
28-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Just my 2 cents, but why dont you show a camera repair shop what you are about to do and then ask if what you do is fixable if you dont get it quite right, and the cost.

Paul

Bassnut
28-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Mike. Actually, if the instructions are comprehensive, you have the right tools, use a lit magnifier lens to get a real close look, and are fanaticlly pedantic, its really not that hard, even if you arnt an engineer :P. I mucked about with the 300D a few times, and even soldered wires to the sensor chip. The whole thing is pretty robust, it is made to be repaired.

Paul, commitment is the key :D. Im going to do it anyway, so a "what, your an idiot" from a Canon tech wouldnt stop me now, I can let a big potential repair bill bother me, it was purchased for astro pics so be dambed, if Hutec can do it, so can I :thumbsup:.

citivolus
28-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Good for you, enjoy yourself! Make sure the wife walks in at least once while the parts are spread around the desk, it makes for some interesting conversation :)

peter_4059
28-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Being an engineer doesn't make destroying a camera any more difficult - ask me! It just makes you want to pull things apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

Good luck.

seeker372011
28-03-2008, 08:58 PM
as I commented when you embarked on your previous mod ... I wouldn't (shudder).....
but good luck you did it last time so now you are an old hand at this stuff

but are you not buying an SBIG of Martin Pugh anyway so why bother ???? :)

PS I am-or was - an engineer and while I might have known a bit about the Navier Stokes equations or about Bessel functions of the third kind- I know very little about modding cameras-trust me they dont teach anything really useful in enginering degrees :)

Bassnut
28-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Your kidding :lol:. The 40D looks sufficiently like the 350D ( which in turn looks a bit like the 300D before that) I have for her not to even realise I am a serial cam buyer/abuser. I just make sure they are not all in view at the same time :whistle:.

skwinty
28-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Fred
At least you save US$600.
You wont have any warranty, but then you wouldnt have any warranty from Hutec either if you send them your camera.
Good Luck and boldness be your friend:thumbsup:

EzyStyles
28-03-2008, 09:03 PM
check your pm fred ;)

Bassnut
28-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Hang on, that SBIG deal is a bit previous :D, its not done yet. Anyway, I just cant resist a 10mega pix (or is it 12, whatever) cam to even just try to cream Eric. Its the challenge you see, SBIG is a no brainer, a self-modded DSLR is a sweet hurdle to overcome, Id cant wait for the obscene oversampling it offers. Much more quedos in doing it the hard way :D. The 300d cooling megamod became a bit of a monster all up, I just couldnt beat the dew, and it was just too cumbersome to operate what with trailing tubes and icebuckets etc. It was fun to try, learned a lot, but unmanagable in the end.

EzyStyles
28-03-2008, 09:15 PM
lol Fred. I would love to see you get into modded DSLR area. c'mon join the dark side now hehee. :poke:did you read my pm?

its 10 mpixel and btw, the dust shaker thing works still ;)

dugnsuz
28-03-2008, 09:31 PM
If you're successful Fred, would you consider doing my 40D for a small fee:whistle:

Good luck - will watch this thread with interest!

Doug:thumbsup::thumbsup:

citivolus
28-03-2008, 09:33 PM
A quick note having done a 10D, if I was doing it again I'd use clear glass instead, given the now existing Hutech camera body filters.

monoxide
28-03-2008, 10:13 PM
go for it Fred,
as far as i'm concerned its not rocket surgery and unless you are *really* rough you shouldn't have any problems.

just double and triple check everything before you put it back together.
by the way where are you getting the glass to replace the IR filter?
there has to be an easier way than cutting up a 2" clear filter

Bassnut
28-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice video, love it, I wish more kids were like this nowadays.

OH yeah, a degree somehow counters any concept of commercial reality.......and which end of a soldering iron to pick up. I cant even remember how many engineering graduates I had to retrain from scratch to actually become usefull. Mind you, I do have some theoretical holes in my knowledge due to a lack of a degree that would have been usefull, but these days, practicle skills count more, unless you do pure design.

A warranty of any sort would be problematic, even from Hutec (shipping cost alone). The $600 saving up front aleaviates the risk somewhat.

Thanks Eric (pm sent), ill leave it in then.

Id love to mod 40ds for others, I just cringe a bit with what I would do if it didnt work after the mod, Id have to do a fair few to cover the odd one that went pair shaped :P

Im not going to fit any glass at all, just leave the shake glass. OK, I cant then use it normally, but I wouldnt anyway.

No replacement, I have a UV/IR filter screwed on the front as recommended.

EzyStyles
29-03-2008, 07:44 PM
hey fred, if you are not planning to get a filter replacement, at least a clear glass so you can still achieve auto focus :)

Bassnut
29-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I thought about that Eric, but I just cant be bothered with the hassle of getting it, ill never use it for terestial anyway.

If the mod is not too hard, I might fit one later.

skwinty
29-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Eric
I have a Hutech modded 40D with the type 1b astro filter and have not experienced any problem with achieving autofocus.
Am I missing something here?
Would autofocus be aproblem if Fred removes the Canon IR cutoff filter from the sensor and does not replace it with anything. ie no sensor filter at all?

EzyStyles
29-03-2008, 08:54 PM
hi steve, yes. you have the 1b filter inplace therefore a clear glass is not required. Whereas Fred plans to remove the original filter completely without putting a filter inplace.

skwinty
29-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Eric
Get the picture now

EzyStyles
29-03-2008, 09:03 PM
no worries, the lb filter has the same thickness as the original filter therefore you will achieve focus.