PDA

View Full Version here: : Near Earth Asteroid photo and animation - 1620 Geographos

Dennis
14-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Last night, 13th March, I set up to capture the trail of Near Earth Asteroid 1620 Geographos, a 5x2km lump of rock due to approach Earth within 12 million miles.

Some thin high cloud made it a more challenging task, and I lost a couple of frames due to temporary cloud cover. I also had some fogging on the CCD as I haven’t used it in a while and the desiccant needs baking to remove the moisture from the imaging chamber. Anyhow, after a few gremlins, variable quality frames, tracking problems and some operator clumsiness, here is a composite image showing the trail after I re-acquired the asteroid from one of the cloud outages.

Here is an complete animation of 1620 Geographos (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/uploads/1620%20Geographos%20600.gif), a 5 X 2km sized asteroid, captured from Brisbane on 13th March 2008, between 9:52 and 11:09 pm AEST (GMT+10). WARNING: 740kB

There are 45 frames in the sequence. Each frame was exposed for 60 seconds with a 20 second delay between frames, clearly showing 1620 Geographos silently flitting between the fixed stars, whilst most people were safe in their beds, blissfully oblivious to the celestial drama being played out as they slept the night away.

Thin, high clouds affected some of the frames, contributing to the dimming of some fainter stars which shows as a “blinking” effect. Takahashi Mewlon 180 at F9.6 with an ST7E CCD camera. FOV 14x9 arc mins approx. Chip is a massive 765x510 pixels. Oh, and its B&W!

Cheers

Dennis

PS – Oh, and here is a rather small Saturn I managed grab between clouds.

sheeny
14-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Very cool, Dennis!

Al.

skwinty
14-03-2008, 10:15 PM
what I like about the animation is that the variations in magnitude and surface area gives the impression that this piece of real estate is tumbling at a fair rate.
Very nice Dennis.
Did you use a planeterium program to locate it or did locate it by chance and then identify it.
Regards
Steve:thumbsup:

Dennis
14-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the complements Al and Steve.

Steve – the variations in brightness and apparent tumbling are the results of thin clouds drifting in and some tracking problems!:doh:

I obtained the “heads up” from Spaceweather (http://spaceweather.com/)which lists current NEA’s and then I used The Sky 6 Pro to download the latest orbital elements from the Minor Planet Centre (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html) file of astorb.dat (ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.html)and then did a GoTo.

If was quite remarkable seeing this object move in real time over a period of 60 seconds.:scared:

Cheers

Dennis

[1ponders]
14-03-2008, 11:23 PM
You're sure da Man for catchin' people attention Dennis. :thumbsup: Excellent show. I'd love to see the uncompressed animation.

[1ponders]
14-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh and BTW :bowdown: on your Spaceweather achievement. :clap: ;)

IanL
14-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Superb Dennis, Very cool indeed. I checked out spaceweather for further info and your video is on the front page of the web site :) Well done.

Ian

iceman
15-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Nicely done Dennis, always up for a challenge, eh?

Congrats on another great achievement.

Dennis
15-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated. Unfortunately the quality of the results are somewhat less than what the equipment is capable of, but at least the movie shows the dynamics of life in our Solar System in quite a dramatic manner.

I sure hope Bruce Willis is keeping up the astronaut and demolition training should one of these rocks stray too close to planet Earth.:lol::lol:

Cheers

Dennis

Garyh
15-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Great stuff Dennis! cool animation .

you sure did your homework to capture this !
Well done..
Nice little saturn by the way..
cheers

RB
15-03-2008, 10:03 AM
That's excellent Dennis, even with the slight cloud interference.

I love your multi-talented facets in imaging - DSO's, planetary, anim, terrestrial, you name it.

Always love your work and congrats on your SW achievements.

:thumbsup:

Gendo
15-03-2008, 01:50 PM
A very neat sequence Dennis. The Saturn is very good too!!!

beren
15-03-2008, 02:25 PM
:thumbsup: Top work Dennis

Dennis
15-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello,

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments; it was a pleasure being able to record this event.

I have just included an (improved) annotated composite as well as a screen capture from the Camera Control SW, CCDSoft and a screen capture from the planetarium program, The Sky 6 Professional.

These screen captures show how CCDSoft and The Sky can integrate together to identify the objects in the image. Makes life so much easier!:whistle:

Cheers

Dennis