PDA

View Full Version here: : Flock your Finder

Astro78
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Flocked the 50mm standard finder yesterday and you wouldn't believe the improvement!

It took 10 mins with some spare Astro flocking paper. Front and back sections done easily in one piece, no bubbling.

In fact the views are so crisp on the sunny trees (no, i don't normally look terrestrially) i'm considering a refractor for general astronomy! Remarkable. :thumbsup:

omnivorr
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!! same to you fella!!

oh, ...I see.. mm.. that could be a good idea..

it has been cloudy a l-o-n-g time, hasn't it.. ;)

Kokatha man
10-03-2008, 08:47 PM
This really is too much Russ - I was gunna post somethin along those lines afore I went out an hours or 2 ago! Jest cut back on yer ESPing!

But jist to be a bit serious Astro 78, what's this flocking paper as opposed to a good quaility flat black paint: as for refractors, don't wanna start (still another) arguement, but my 6" achro gives mighty fine views, an' I haves no troubles wanting to pull it out instead o the 10" dob oftens

Regards, Darryl.

Astro78
10-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Daryl I wont even begin to tell you what the difference at looking down a flocked 8" tube compared to a 'quality black paint' 8" OTA. The shine, although slight makes a huge difference. Mate, the stray light bouncing around on your pure light path is reducing the quality (contrast) , ALL the best APO's are not only flocked but baffled.

Kokatha man
11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Asro78 - yeah, I knows about baffles, been around for centuries (possibly) - I reckon any half-decent refractor would have 'em: but this flocking paper; I seem to remember a conversation with Alan Gould (apologise if it wasn't you Alan) which gave me the impression it was like wall-papering the inside of a tube (ie scope.) Wall-papering a wall's *** hard enough, let alone a tube: what's your comments Astro?

ps - when I speak about "good quality paint" I'm really referring to stuff that I mix up in my capacity as a pro artist: we have additives that are special optical "flatteners" that we can add to polymers to get "flats" you just can't imagine from commercial products - though I'd reckon that this flocking paper (by the name) has some sort of textured surface to break up/reduce the reflected, scattered light's effects even more?

Cheers, Darryl.

Glenhuon
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Just wondering about this thread when I saw an Ad for "Suede" paint. How would that go in black for inside an OTA ?

Bill

Astro78
15-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey Darryl and Bill,

I've never wall-papered but will assume very similar. This 'prostar flocking paper' is self adhesive and although i have read that additional glue is useful this was not needed in my case.

It was a little stressful and took between 1-2 hours from memory. Would have been worth it if this took me 3 days though! Also would have been easier if I drove to the hardware store and bought a stanley knife!

I used 2 sections and 1 overlapped slightly (hence need for stanley knife not scissors), the overlapping piece peeled. I will add the only reason there was stress was because of failing to de-lint the material before installing. Making this a painful and frustrating experience to fully remove the lint once in the tube! Spend the time and remove all air pockets by hand, you only do this once if done right. +to state the obvious measure 3 times!

I can't comment on the professional paint you have access too but your right this prostar stuff is highly textured and simply would be hard to compete with.

Out of interest I flocked my chinese 50mm finder a week ago and was shocked at the improvement for such a small aperture! added later -Oops thought this was my other post about flocking the 8"!

Hey Bill I wouldn't use brown, sure there'd be worse colours, but it aint black!

Glenhuon
15-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Hey Bill I wouldn't use brown, sure there'd be worse colours, but it aint black!
Quote:

Was assuming that the paint in question could be bought in any shade, including black. ( I've had black suede shoes, and come to think of it Elvis had Blue Suede ones, so it goes back a long time. ) :P

Bill

Astro78
15-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Must be a strange form of dyslexia on my part Bill. I see suede written but think of brown! :help:

Glenhuon
17-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Yep, brings up the same mental pic for me I must admit :lol:

Bill