PDA

View Full Version here: : any ideas on how to move a 16" lightbridge

h0ughy
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
i thought about wheels directly on the base, then about a "cart" with roller wheels for heavy music gear etc, and then I thought about a modified supercheap auto hand trolley? now i am confused. I bought the wheels from bunnings, and have the handcart, plus bought a few other things including d handles for the base to pick it up. even bought some 90 degree brackets to stiffen up the supports for the tube on the mount? HELP.

had thought about a wheelbarrow arrangement but cannot workout how to modify the base to add temporary handles?:help::help::help::help:

Starkler
09-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Idea #1 A hand trolley. I use one for my ten incher but the base part maybe doesnt extend far enough to support the scopes base.:shrug:

#2 Use a two piece wheelbarrow handle arrangement like whats on my SDM. The 2nd piece slots into the tubing of the mounted part, which can be easily removed as its held on with eye-bolts. The wheels dont get in the way so i dont bother removing it.

GrahamL
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
few ideas here dave :)
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2071883/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/6/vc/1
you guys have a lot in common actually regarding the buying and selling of astro gear :D

h0ughy
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
thanks Geoff, I have the wheels for that from the 20 dollar trolley from Supercheap (was cheaper to buy a whole trolley than two wheels + axel)

h0ughy
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
thanks for the link Graham, i really like that idea:thumbsup::D not sure what you mean about the buy and sell bit:whistle:

gbeal
09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Huff, I don't have the LB, but instead a truss homebrew 16" ala Kreige et al.
I use the two wheel barrow handles like Geoff. Piece of cake.

h0ughy
10-03-2008, 12:36 PM
any closeups of the handle connections/and or wheels?

gbeal
14-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Sorry Houghy, didn't notice this reply. Can do, if it helps. The wheels were simple rubber pneumatic ones from a local engineering place, and about $30 the pair. A bolt through the centre (they have bearings as well) and into the piece of old dressed down 2x2 timber. Shaft size was about 16mm, so I had to buy the correct sized bolt, and I use "Nyloc" nuts to avoid one of those moments as I wheeled it out.
To attach it to the rocker box I used a piece of 10mm threaded rod, and fitted plastic knobs to one end (this is contrary to what Kreige says, but I like them). Once the holes were bored (two per side) in the rocker box I fitted "T Nuts" to the inside. These are a threaded nut with serrated bits that stop the nut turning. The more I tighten the knob up, the more these pull into the inside of the rocker box.
I set up the pole position such that when they are at rest, the wheels are just off the ground. When you pick it up, the rocker box tilts of course, but the scope proper is able to pivot on the alt bearings, so it isn't as scary as imagined.
Still need a picture?

jakob
14-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I found a solution in a fold-up aluminium trolley from Bunnings. But to bring the CG closer to the wheels I was going to cut the base to a square.
Eventually I made a new base.
But you may have seen the pics elswhere on the forum.

I dont think the stability suffered because of the reduced size of the base,
the Az bearing diameter is still the same.

glenc
14-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I use this for my 12". The wheels are slightly above the ground and the handles are on all the time.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25183&d=1175302902