PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ 6 with a 12 inch dob ota???

xelasnave
24-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I know it has been done but I have always wondered if the limits were not being pushed.
But after pulling down my eq6 I think they are a pretty strong unit..I think the only thing that may complain could be the small brass gears...the worm should manage and the only place that could complain can be relived of doing any real work...so I figure if I only use the motors to track and not use them to move the scope they will not be stressed...

Looking at the ots I think I will just add a dovetail on some strip that luns the length of the ots to reduce flex..but no rings ..in an effor tot hold down the weight..have the camera and guide scope inboard to move wieght closer in... have the guide scope up the ota as far as it takes to have the ota balanced in the center...

I have ideas how to address to inward focus problem and it is not a worry.

Anyone stop me please but looking at this mount I think it could be done..
I think the ota could loose some weight with sections cut out ... but I think it should manage ..what are your thoughts?
alex

peter_4059
24-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Iceman seems to manage ok with his! My 10" GSO works fine. How are you planning to manage the inward focus issue?

xelasnave
24-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Peter I have in mind to remove the focuser and set it on the inside jack it as far as needed..if it intrudes simple add a template to reduce the diameter so the focuser is not interfering... anyways as far as needed but if the set up works reasonable I will fit a lower profile focuser... maybe have to build one even...
I always had in mind building a lighter ota so the focuser would not have been an issue..but for stage one the focuser set up may be a bit ruff.

alex

iceman
24-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Paul Mayo had his 12" on an EQ6 for a long time too. I think he may have moved the mirror up the tube but I can't be sure.

peter_4059
24-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Depending on how much movement you need another way to address the inward focus problem is to move the primary morror forward. I replaced the collimation bolts/springs with longer ones and this gave me an additional 10 mm travel. The GSO M7 colimation bolts can be difficult to get hold of though. Bunnings had some that worked in the automotive range and springs to suit.

xelasnave
24-02-2008, 09:10 PM
IT wont be a problem there are various solutions my main concern is there something I miss weight wise because I think it will work ... fitting it in the shed on the mount may see some changes to the pier hight and I made it so strong it will be hard to shorten it without destroying most of it and building a new one in effect...
Mike the fact that Paul used one is good enough for me .. I know you have had it going for planets ..I may have missed what else you may have done..
anyways I will give it a go ..shopping tomorrow sosomething will be there to take it forward.

alex

skwinty
25-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Alex
I have just this weekend cut 5cm from my 12" GSO OTA to attain focus for my Canon 40DH. I had rings made for the OTA and am using the standard skywatcher dovetail.
I am not so happy with the sloppyness of the ring dovetail fit. Your idea of a longer dovetail without rings sounds like a good idea. If it works out well for you I will probably do the same. I have tried a hargreaves strut which does help a bit in the north /south axis but not east/west.

I am still waiting for the focus extender so am unable to use visually now.
This evening I will reassemble the scope (paint must be dry by now. The GSO paint job was terrible and lasted a year before rust spots started to show) and hope the weather is good so I can take my first astropic.

Good luck with your mods and keep us posted on your progress.
Regards
Steve:thumbsup:

Alchemy
25-02-2008, 09:03 PM
i have done the mod as per squinty and had to repaint my tube too, i personally dont think the eq6 is heavy enough for deep space, ok for planets though. please have a look at my scope its on a g11 and its really loaded to the max in my opinion http://stormfrontobservatory.googlepages.c om/equipment that should be the right link if its not just click my other link and select equipment. hope it gives you ideas particularly for stability and mounting it.

skwinty
25-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi alchemy
Thanks for the reference to your website.
I seem to remember a comment you made in one of your posts regarding the wind pushing the OTA around so the question i want to ask is the G11 really that much better than the eq6.
I ask this because i experience the OTA moving in the wind as well on the eq6pro hence my wish to strengthen the ring to dovetail fit.
I knew when I started this hobby that the learning curve and budget keeps going up and perhaps I should mortgage the house and all and purchase a Paramount PE at 12,500 USD or 120,000 South African rands:(.
What is starting to be particularly sad is the amount of money I have already spent (50,000 ZAR) and yet to take a picture.
Regards
Steve:(:(:(

xelasnave
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the input Steve and Alchemy I really appreciate it.

A couple of days ago I had a go with the 12 inch on the eq6 mount.

I added a dovetail to the ota with a piece of timber on the inside of the tube but there is
still some flex which should be minimized with the addition of some brackets.

I had to cut about 40mm off the bottom of the ota so the camera would reach focus and as a result the scope needs adjusting and I still have to sot it out.

Lifting the ota onto the mount was great for my hernia and if you don’t have one such an effort may see you with your very own battle of the bulge.

I found that the mount worked well and got some unguided runs of up to 200 seconds on Eta Carina that were reasonable ..but I have not done any pe training mainly because I have no guide scope on it yet….I was more interested in getting some indication of the light grab… 30 seconds at 400 iso is about all Orion can stand.
The mirror on the 12 inch is rather spotted with stuff that will not come off so I was happy to see the photos were ok..it is surprising the image quality seemingly is little effected…but I need a resilver or new mirror.

Also if I stay with this set up I have to cut the pier down so the scope will go in the shed..this is a big job but necessary as lifting the ota is a pain..literally for me…

I ran off some shots of Orion and of Eta but with the lap top troubles have not been able to do much with them… stars seemed a little out of focus but I think it was a combination of the scope needing adjustment and the moisture in the air..it was a clear dark night but there is still a lot of water up there.

The lap top (the one the cat threw up on) works with an external keyboard… thank goodness.. but I think I need an external mouse as well… I would get a new lap top but the thought of setting up all the software is putting me off..I can get it up to 2 gig..even 4 which would be over kill and I will probably go for only 2 gig.

Still waiting on the last bit of gear from Shoestring (USB thingy) the only step left for auto guiding I hope…

Line speed here is crap… so I can not get to do much as it is taking 20 minutes or more to get a page change… so I typed this in word hoping that I may just be able to get on and post this.

Hope all are well.

alex