PDA

View Full Version here: : Wanted - Builder of truss tube telescope

Phil Hart
24-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I just posted this in the "Wanted" classifieds but it belongs here also. Maybe post any replies in the classified section..
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=29025

I ground and polished my own 8" mirror as a student about 14 years ago. After five years in a garage while I lived overseas, the tube and dobsonian mount are now on the large side for the small car my partner and i have.

I would love to convert this 8" mirror to a lighter and more portable truss tube design. I don't have the time or skills nor tools and facilities to do this myself so I'm looking for somebody I can pay to build the truss tube and mount. I realise that a custom built setup may cost almost as much as buying a new 8" Meade Lightbridge off the shelf, but using my own mirror is more important.

I'm in Melbourne but happy to work with anybody anywhere - let me know if you're interested!

cheers
Phil Hart
0438 037 567
www.philhart.com/gallery/Astrophotography

GTB_an_Owl
25-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Phil

have you thought about buying the lightbridge and putting your mirror in it ?

you may even pick up a second hand one if your lucky

geoff

tnott
28-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Try http://www.dobstuff.com/ :thumbsup:

GrahamL
29-02-2008, 06:33 AM
they look nice.. the way the oz $ is this week even throw a hundred for frieght and you well within your budget phil:)
you might have to send him a sample of availiable aluminium stock from australia so the holes can be cut to suit
or hunt down the same size tube here ..it is availiable by all accounts just a little harder to get ....and get
some tube inserts.

CoombellKid
06-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Phil,

Has anyone answered your call? or have you decided on another way?

Otherwise I could be interested, the only thing stopping me coming
forward is more the cost to you. A big portion of it would be the labour.
I've just finished an 8" truss dob for my son. Here's a couple of photo's.

If this interests you, PM me

regards,CS

Phil Hart
13-03-2008, 10:09 PM
thanks for the replies (and private messages). i got exactly the kind of responses i was hoping for. this is a great forum and resource!

I've received a very generous offer from Canberra so am pursuing that now. Will post back here at the end of the project.

cheers
Phil.

Phil Hart
14-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm delighted to say that my request back in February for help to build a new dob mount and truss tube assembly for an 8" mirror i made 15 years ago as a student has reached a beautiful conclusion.

When I moved back from Scotland to Melbourne in 2006, my old scope couldn't travel anywhere because there was no room for anything or anybody else in my partner's small Mitisubishi Lancer (our only car) once the scope was squeezed in.

Ian Ogilvie in Canberra accepted the challenge to make a more compact version for me and has crafted a beautiful scope that functions every bit as well as it looks. Perfect balance and smooth motions make it a delight to use. And it packs up very compact and fits in one corner of the back seat of our small car.

It's first big night out was at Mudgee Observatory (http://www.mudgeeobservatory.com.au/) a few nights after picking it up in Canberra. It was covered in ice within the first few hours! Jupiter looked great, easily matching views through the other scopes at John Vetter's great observatory setup. With Jupiter high overhead, I watched the red spot rotate across the face of the planet while photographs were ticking away in the roll-off shed. And all the old favourite deep sky favourites looked great too - there's never a view as good as through your own scope!

The equipment swap I made for Ian's work doesn't come close to fair compensation for the time he put in - he's put a lot of love and craftmanship into this scope. Thanks again Ian!

Thanks to the IIS community for what you made possible!

The only problem now is convincing my partner not to use it as a coffee table :-)

cheers
Phil

www.philhart.com/gallery/Astrophotography

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45079&stc=1&d=1216002902

iceman
14-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Beautiful piece of work, Phil. Ian was certainly the right man for the job - his scopes are a work of art. And he's very generous with his time!

Congrats also on your DM award winning images!

stringscope
14-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I haven't previously posted on this scope as it was not my scope to do so, however, Phil has OK'd me to add input as required.

Couple of additional photos. These were taken before truss tubes were painted black and altitude bearing keepers installed.

Construction is of Hoop Pine plywood with Jarrah edging. All coated with satin marine varnish. Shroud is by Heather @ Teeters Telescopes in NJ (USA). Holds altitude position, all angles- 4mm ortho to 31mm Nagler, without counter weights - due to large diameter altitude bearings.

Cheers,

Starkler
14-07-2008, 04:31 PM
What a lovely looking scope!

tnott
14-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Very nice work!:thumbsup:

AlexN
14-07-2008, 07:00 PM
What a little beauty! Must be awesome finally seeing your hand crafted mirror receive such a beautiful new home! :)

Phil Hart
14-07-2008, 08:36 PM
it is great. now i've got something to look through while the astrophotos are ticking away, and it fits in the car with everything else!

and when we visit friends with dark skies the scope can come along as well..

GrahamL
15-07-2008, 06:37 AM
What a great looking scope :thumbsup:.. and coffee table :)

CoombellKid
15-07-2008, 06:46 AM
She sure is a lil beauty!!! nice and compact

regards,CS

PhilW
15-07-2008, 03:59 PM
That is an absolutely gorgeous job Phil (& Ian). I can see why your partner would be happy to display it in the lounge room.

Makes my ATMing look 'functional' (i.e. cannot be displayed as furniture).

Phil

Phil Hart
15-07-2008, 04:19 PM
your scopes are nothing short of amazing either Phil - no need to under sell yourself here!

i haven't forgotten the 'refractor like' views of jupiter through your 14". magic stuff!