PDA

View Full Version here: : Jupiter + GRS in good seeing

iceman
22-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi all

3rd morning in a row capturing Jupiter, and finally the conditions were favourable. I hadn't set up the scope but just as I was about to leave for work, the clouds that were there earlier parted and the stars were very steady. So I quickly set up the scope, no cooldown time but luckily I was able to capture most data before the temperatures dropped too much.

These 3 images were captured very close together so there's not a lot of difference between them - the clouds returned at 6am so my whole imaging window was only 25 minutes - 10 minutes of that was setup time and getting Jupiter on the chip of DMK :)

The GRS looks rather interesting, with some material seeming to be trailing behind it. It also looks rather orange, but I remember thinking the same thing early in last years season. Red Junior (LRS) looks like it will have another meeting with the GRS this year as it did in 2006, and it actually looks a bit smaller than it did in 2007 - though a higher resolution view at the CM is needed to confirm.
There seems to be some activity at the NEBn/NTropZ region, and the NTB looks quite an interesting colour.

Taken with a 12" newt, DMK21AU04 + 5x powermate.

Thanks for looking.

stonewalled
22-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Unbelievable for 25 mins work!

Very impressive indeed. Will be interesting to see how images of Jupiter progress over the coming months.

Keep them coming

Paul

bird
22-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Mike, glad to see you found some good seeing.

cheers, Bird

Alchemy
22-02-2008, 02:40 PM
best result so far, pretty good for only 34deg altitude.

i have a big hill behind me which blocks probably the first 45 or so deg, mind you from horizon to horizon at the meridian so i cant complain, so it will be a while yet before i get a crack at it.

the composition is great with both the red spots nicely featured.

only one question this time , CMI, II and III on your image whats this representing?

Matty P
22-02-2008, 08:25 PM
A very nice Joop Mike! :thumbsup:

Great to see that you go some good seeing. :)

Looking forward to more of your work. :D

davidpretorius
22-02-2008, 10:00 PM
the band around the GRS has definately changed.

in just over 7 months, it seems to be settling back down into the brown SEB.

Nice work Mike.

IO transits tonight:thumbsup:

davidpretorius
22-02-2008, 10:03 PM
actually, flicking between the two images, there are a huge number of changes...............WOW

Dennis
23-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Wow, excellent results Mike. First, fast food; then speed dating, followed by instant messaging and now we have hurried hi-res imaging. Careful Mike, you might just start a new techno trend!

Cheers

Dennis