PDA

View Full Version here: : First Jupiter for 2008

iceman
20-02-2008, 08:28 AM
A month or so ago, Dave Pretorius and I agreed to post all of our Jupiter's this season, no matter what the seeing :) He kicked it off yesterday with a great start, and here's mine from this morning.

Finally we had a clear night all night last night.. of course the almost full moon stopped any chance of deep-space imaging, and by this morning a fog had rolled in. A jetstream and the low altitude ruined any chance of a detailed image, but here it is anyway.

Scientifically ;), it proves that Jupiter is still round, still has the north and south equatorial belts, red junior (the little red spot) is still there, the blue barge is still there, and Europa still orbits Jupiter.

It's all there on the image, you just need to look very carefully :) The view actually looked better through the eyepiece than this final image. The 1st image was taken through some fog so transparency was very poor, but it had cleared a little for the 2nd image. Both were taken at 15fps (1/15s exposure).

Europa and its shadow are in transit - Europa can't be seen due to the poor resolution, but the shadow can just be seen as a spread of dark pixels below the NEB on the left hand side of the image. The blue barge is just before the CM on the 2nd image, and Red Jr has just passed the CM on the 2nd image.

Anyway, first one down.. hopefully many more to come (and hopefully a little better than this).

laika
20-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Iceman,
Nice to see images of Jupiter again.
Monday morning in Upper Beaconsfield Jupiter looked very steady and the stars were not twinkling very rapidly so imaging may have been good but unfortunately work commitments prevented me from doing anything.
Holidays soon so that should change.
Thanks for the image and please do post all the data you get, it will be very interesting to see image quality for various seeing conditions and as jupiter gets higher in the sky.

Regards.
Brenton.

bird
20-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice start Mike, reminds me of my first images from last year. Haven't seen Jupiter yet - I've heading off to bed around 3am after lots of frustrating nights on Saturn :-)

cheers, Bird

Dennis
20-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Good stuff Mike - it's nice to see you and Dave back at work on Jupiter.

Cheers

Dennis

Matty P
20-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Not bad at all Mike. :thumbsup:

It is great to see some pics of Jupiter getting posted. :)
It is only a matter of time now. :evil:

Inmykombi
20-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Well done.
Keep drinkin' that coffee Mike, and keep on imaging Jupiter.

I haven't see it this year as yet. And I cant wait to get a look on a nice clear night.

Alchemy
21-02-2008, 05:56 AM
TA-DA (sound of trumpets)

the season has begun..... more please!

edwardsdj
21-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Great that you've captured so much this early in the apparition Mike :)

ving
21-02-2008, 01:25 PM
no it wabbit season!

nice start and good to see jup didnt blow up while it was away :)