An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the
Computer which can be named as "CON". This is something pretty
Cool...and Unbelievable. ... At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't answer
why this happened!

TRY IT NOW ,IT WILL NOT CREATE " CON " FOLDER

MAGIC #2

For those of you using Windows, do the following:
1.) Open an empty notepad file
2.) Type "Bush hid the facts" (without the quotes)
3.) Save it as whatever you want.
4.) Close it, and re-open it.

is it just a really weird bug? [

MAGIC #3

Microsoft crazy facts
This is something pretty cool and neat...and unbelievable. .. At
Microsoft, the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this
happened!
It was discovered by a Brazilian. Try it out yourself...

Open Microsoft Word and type

=rand (200, 99)

And then press ENTER

Then see the magic....... ......... ......... ......

Enjoy

Matty P
17-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Some really cool facts. Do you have anymore?

Thanks for sharing.

Shawn
17-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Ill find some for you... I didnt believe it till I tried it...:)

Shawn
17-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Now we have a whole bunch of members playing with word, notepad and folders...

What did you get, ???

S

GTB_an_Owl
17-01-2008, 11:00 PM
i do believe "con" is a " protected system word " for "console"

geoff

joshman
17-01-2008, 11:10 PM
haha, i couldn;t try out the microsoft word one because i'm a user of the free (and easily as good as) openoffice.

and it doesn't do anything with =rand(200, 99)

can someone PM me a screenshot or a description?

Matty P
17-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Here you go Josh,

When you type in =rand (200, 99) and press ENTER

this is what you get... 212 pages :eyepop:of .....................

Gargoyle_Steve
18-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Do you know why that particular sentence, ie " The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog " was used as a test sequence for various data, teletype, etc, devices?

It is the shortest sentence in the English language (35 letters total) that contains all 26 letters in the alphabet at least once!
(alternately .... The quick brown dog jumps over the lazy fox!)

In a similar vein when testing or doing a secure wipe of a hard drive a repeating sequence of "A5A5A5A5 ... " is written, followed by the opposite sequence, "5A5A5A5A..."

Each sequence, converted to pure binary, is a continous stream of alternating 0's and 1's, but the "negative" of the other ie 10101010.. & 01010101...so that by writing both sequences in turn acros an entire drive every singe storage bit available on the drive has been written as both a 0 and a 1, again the most effective means of testing every possible combination..

acropolite
18-01-2008, 09:41 AM
I have one, but it will take some concentration and perseverence to see. The windows pipe screensaver will, on occasions, terminate with a teapot at the end. When I was first told of this by a friend I thought he had one too many beers, however he insisted I look untill I saw it, sure enough after around 10-15 minutes the magical teapot flashed before my eyes. Don't dare blink you may miss it.....:whistle:

Nightshift
18-01-2008, 09:47 AM
This is indeed an illeagal command, all MS operating systems are based on internal and external commands, in Windows OS the internal commmands are written in to the kernal, on the older DOS systems they were internal to command.com, the system loader, these loaders contain the basic OS commands like REN, MD, MKDIR, DEL, ERASE and many more. These are the commands that you wont find an exe file for, they exist inside (internal) to command.com. If you drop to a DOS prompt and type "copy con file.txt" then enter, then type some text and close the file with a ctrl + z (or F6) then you will have a text file called file.txt containing the text you typed, this is a copy from your console to a text file. Many internal commands are reserved, and I am certain that MS engineers all know this, they wrote it and any computer technician worth his salt knows it too (of course that excludes most self proclaimed technicians onder the age of 30).:rofl:

Nightshift
18-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Sorry Shawn but this isnt quite magic either, this is in fact a known Word command designed to generate sample text for when you want to test something in word like printing and dont want to type a heap of garbage, MS wrote it in on purpose and they know all about it, you can read more on their website by clicking here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212251/en-us

Cheers, Dennis.

Ric
18-01-2008, 03:50 PM
That's pretty neat Shawn, never knew that before now.

Cheers

netwolf
20-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Con as Geoff points out is a protected word. It is used in the following way

"Copy con test.txt"
This command will start simple text file creator. Used to use this to create config and batch files while in DOS. Its limited in that once a line is written it can not be edited. Use Ctrl-Z to exit. Use "type test.txt" to see what you have written.

Another similar thing can be tried, try naming a folder "lpt1" or "com1" it will not permit these. Because these are protected words.

I often use mem >com1 to test serial printers. This pipes the output of the mem command (summary of memory usage) to the com port.

Regards
Fahim

jay019
20-01-2008, 05:11 PM
But seriously, do you need 212 pages of it?

Jazza
21-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I got 576.. :D

DJVege
21-01-2008, 02:13 PM
=rand(p,s)

You can change how many paragraphs and sentences you get. I think this sample function is a bit pointless, really...unless you're able to change the text, which I don't think you can.

The other 2 are funny. Didn't know about the reserved keywords.