PDA

View Full Version here: : First moon pic

taz
15-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi all!

Got home tonight with a borrowed Nikon D2 and tripod and tried a few shots. This was taken at 125/5.6 at 400mm. No other adjustments, just cropped! Any suggestions as to what you can do with just a DSLR? Couldn't seem to get it as clear as I wanted.

Cheers!

edwardsdj
15-01-2008, 11:58 PM
A lot of detail for your first shot of the Moon Taz :)

Did you use the autofocus or manual focusing?

taz
16-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Just used manual focus. I didn't actually even consider auto, I generally try not to use it, although with this camera maybe it is good enough to try. Maybe tomorrow on another of these clear Melbourne nights. :).

I tried to find a few things in the menu like noise reduction??? too, but I don't really understand enough about them to use them yet...I'll have to read a manual.

Cheers, Caroline

edwardsdj
16-01-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure if the image is a bit soft because of focus, camera shake or both.

Sorry to ask more questions but did you use a cable release?

Manually focusing the lens to the infinity position is rarely good enough because the true infinity focus is usually just before this point.

I'd be tempted to try autofocus first. Use the self timer if you don't have a cable release so vibrations have a few seconds to settle down. On my Nikon D80 there is an option on the menu called "Exposure Delay". Turn this on: it waits for a moment after flipping the mirror before taking the exposure. The feature can help reduce vibrations.

Using a slightly higher ISO (like 400) and shorter exposure (like 1/250s) will help with vibration as well.

Experiment with the noise reduction. At these short exposures I doubt it makes much difference.

Hope this helps.

Have fun,
Doug

taz
16-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for that Doug!

Unfortunately I don't have a cable release, so it probably is a mixture of focus and camera shake. I'm not sure if the tripod I was using is steady enough for the camera either (very aware of shake as I hit the shutter). The D2H with a 80-400 VR lens is pretty heavy. But I'll definately try the auto focus and shutter delay!! It's certainly good fun trying all this out though!

Cheers, Caroline :thumbsup:

iceman
16-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Good first go! I'd use auto on the moon - it's bright enough with enough contrast that the auto-focus does a good job on it. Once it's auto-focussed, switch it to manual so it doesn't move after that.

It does look a bit soft, but some post-process sharpening could bring it up nicely.

I hope you don't mind - but i've attached your image with some slight post-processing (sharpening and levels).