PDA

View Full Version here: : Lunar: Tycho, Plato and Wilhelm

iceman
10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi all

I captured these on the 30th December 2007 and only just got around to processing them.

For something different (for Tycho and Wilhelm), I tried a HDR approach - capturing 2 avi's; one which had the highlights overexposed, and one which was slightly underexposed. I processed them both identically, and combined them using layer masks in photoshop - similar to how we do it to reveal the core of M42 with shorter exposures.

It allowed me to get the histogram just right and have a better dynamic range without blowing out the highlights. It seemed to work fairly well and is something i'll do again in future when the subject needs it.

On Wilhelm, I like the banded contrast across the crater floor, due to the rays from Tycho splashing out.

MAP processing, about 200 frames stacked on each alignment point (between 4-8 alignment points).

Thanks for looking.

saberscorpx
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Excellent work, Mike.
Thanks for sharing.

SJS

sheeny
10-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Excellent work, Mike!

Al.

davidpretorius
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
never get sick of the ol moon shots.

Nice work on the HDR........sounds promising

matt
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
A nice collection of images, Mike.

Just remind me what the acronym HDR stands for?

Might have to try this layering technique myself, now that I'm a little more comfortable with PS:thumbsup:

iceman
10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys.

HDR = High Dynamic Range

Alchemy
10-01-2008, 10:21 AM
3 more nice images im going to pick tycho as my favorite, the mountain looks superb with the angle of lighting. the hdr seems to work. lots of craters on plato there too, always an indication of a good image

cheers for now

RB
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Great work once again Mike.
Good to see you applying HDR on your avi's.

I've been wanting to do some HDR shots of the full and/or crescent moon using the DSLR too.

These look great.

bird
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Mike, very nice images!

bird

iceman
11-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys. The HDR adds quite a bit of time to the final image (duplicating the capture, and the processing, and then combining), but it's worth it on those targets where the illumination creates a very bright side and a very dark side.

Tycho and Wilhelm probably could've been captured with just one avi at a lower exposure and brightened afterwards, but I used the HDR technique more for practise and the end result of the combined avi's did have more breadth to the histogram than the single capture.

Thanks again.

joshman
12-01-2008, 08:45 AM
nice images there mike. i'm loving the craters on the floor of plato.

what you could try is a third exposure for somewhere in the middle of the other two. then bring the other two exposures 'further away' from correct. that way you could get an even higher dynamic range. kind of like doing a three bracket exposure on the DSLR's. that could yield some interesting results.

matt
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Mike - I'm sure I've seen a thread here somewhere discussing the HDR technique and how to apply it, but do you think I can find it!!!!:doh:

I'd be interested to learn a little more about this and have a go at doing it myself.

Lester
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
All nice images Mike, with Tycho being my favourite, just looks a bit sharper.

Outbackmanyep
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Why is it that every image you post is an excellent shot!?
Great work Mike!

Throw us a few bad ones occasionally please, just to make sure you're still human! :lol2: