PDA

View Full Version here: : I need to show someone

leon
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys

I presume that most of us are in the same boat, so to speak. :shrug:

I spend as long as possible outside on any clear night and enjoy the skies, and the just being alone, but some nights, like last, i sat there thinking while the scope was doing it's stuff.

Wouldn't it be nice to share the clear, star riddled sky, the procedure of how to capture images and such,with someone else.

But to date at 2am in the morning i have no takers, even my dear wife Alice, although she enjoys the final images, is not that interested.

Is it not a wonder that the Astronomer strays and looks for wider fields.

leon :thumbsup:

vash
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
yeah, it'd would be good to have an apprentice to setup and break down all the equipment,

matt
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
If it's company you're after...what about Ken and the rest of the SV mob?

Don't you hook up with those guys?

ballaratdragons
07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
We are busy imaging in our own back yards :lol:

I like spending time over at Leons, but I would annoy him if I popped in too much, and I wouldn't get my own imaging done. That's what is good about Club nights. We all get together.

I often sit in my control room wishing I could share the experience with others too. Atleast, a couple of nights ago, a local 11 year old came over and asked me to help him to learn how to use his Christmas present telescope. That was a good night :thumbsup: His family enjoyed the night too!

But yeah, some nights I crave company too.

matt
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
That was what I meant, Ken:)

leon
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
No guys I think you missed the point, of coarse we can get together and do stuff, but i mean I would like to show people how it all works, Ken knows, how it works, but even my dear wife has no idea how all the equipment dose it's stuff, and i cant get her out there for a 5 hour spell.

I suppose i am just proud of the set-up, and want to show it off, probably an ego thing.

Leon

matt
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh...OK:)

ballaratdragons
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Ahhhhh, yep, I know exactly what you mean Leon!!! :lol:

Every visitor I get is dragged out to the set-up and given a rundown on what does what.
Then they yawn :rofl:
I like showing my stuff off too, coz I am blessed to have it. I explain to them how some have helped with all the gear.
Then I show them my images.

But they don't come at night when they can see it in action :sadeyes:

I think I scare them away :lol:

jjjnettie
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Maybe there should be a Personal Column in the Astro mags.
"Lonely Astronomer seeks observing companion to share the wonders of Astrophotography."

I know what you mean though. For me I'd just like to have someone there to say, "Wow, did you see that?" when a meteor streaks through the sky.
My usual companions on a long night are my cat and horse.

xelasnave
08-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Leon I understand you I feel... but sadly the feeling is much like someone who has discovered the joys of drug taking....to a degree... we have found a world we feel they miss when we enjoy our astronomy and simply would like to share the joy I feel..to turn them onto what e have been turned on by.

I dont see it as ego which is sort of a negative thing but a decent desire to open others eyes to the pleasure you feel they also could enjoy.

I appreciate so much that we live in times where we are able to enjoy such wonders... lets face it.. not that long ago to do what we do one needed to be one of a privledged few.. our relatively inexpensive gear could only be avaiable to Governments...

I try and tell others of how "easy" astrophotography is simply so perhaps they could enjoy what I have taken from the hobby ...

I like to share my good fortune as I am sure you do also but many still think it is an area beyond them... the only reason I have ever posted photos is to somehow pass on a message that if a mug like me can mangage an image anyone can..in an effort to share...

I hope I have not misinterpretted your approach.

best wishes
alex

venus
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Lol Jeanette..
Yeah Leon I find the same problem I'm always telling my children oh this is happening in the sky tonight or some great astronomy documentary is on tv they have a squidge but not really that interesed.

leon
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Thank you people for your comments, ;) see, you all do understand.:thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

Ric
08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Wasn't there a movie made about this.

"The lonliness of the long distance Astrophotographer" :whistle:

I know what you mean Leon, in Summer I get the occasional look out the door from Kee to make sure I haven't been carried of by mozzies and even less in Winter.

Cheers :)

leon
08-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Don't mention Winter Ric, that is when i definitely never see Alice, she loves that electric blanket far to much. :lol:

Leon :thumbsup:

taminga16
08-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Leon,
Lynne might pop out for a quick occasionally but the BEST company is our three year old Border Collie, he listens to my every word, never argues and is so quiet at times that I forget that he is there and almost stand on him.
Truly great company even if I can't share everything with him.

Regards,

Greg.

dugnsuz
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds like you're going observatory crazy leon!!!!!!!!!

CoombellKid
08-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Talking about winter, have you ever woken up still sitting on your seat covered in frost lol

One thing I like about star parties, the social thing along with all the oohhh and arrr's

regards,CS

mick pinner
08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
l like to show people that are interested in astronomy what my setup is like and what everything does but as for having someone there while l'm observing or photographing, no thanks.
l love the star parties and the social atmosphere they bring but after dealing with people all day on matters that a lot of the time bore me l look forward to the solitude and thinking time observing brings.

Ric
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
:lol: Haven't gone that far Rob. Yet :whistle:

Cheers

Outbackmanyep
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Give her 50 bucks to stand out in the cold, maybe she needs incentive!?
If she turns it down, you've saved yourself 50 bucks!

leon
13-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Yep Rob been there a couple of times actually, because the imaging runs can go for a long time i put a timer on and sit back in my comfy chair and look toward the heavens, yep, you guessed it cover in heavy dew and freezing cold, ah, but it is all worth it.

leon

danielsun
13-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Yep, I hear you Leon.
I have been out there under the stars most nights for the pest week and a half till 5;00am. The MRS thinks I'm mad but I love it!!
It gives me plenty of thinking time and I get so engrossed into what I'm doing that time just fly's by.
I also sometimes think it would be nice to show someone what I'm doing and see and hear the gear tracking away with all the wires and red LED"s whilst taking exposures and then waiting for eagerly waiting for that shot to come through.Though most of the time the cat will find a spot close by and keep me company.
But I really love having a radio beside me quietly playing away and quite often playing a classic that I haven't heard for years which makes it even better.
Also during exposures I have the Dob out with the argo to look for imaging targets and still enjoy some visual.;)

I'm going to go and pop my head outside now check the sky out now and if it's clear I'll be doing it again tonight.