PDA

View Full Version here: : Mars - at the Zenith!!

erick
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Well not quite - about 5 degrees off the zenith. But Castor went straight through the zenith tonight!! :eyepop:

That's the view, anyway, from Northern Israel. Between overcast and rain showers, I've been peeking up - in very light-polluted skies. However, it is so strange to my mind. What's Betelgeuse doing at the top of Orion??

I only have my eyes to use, and no chance of dark skies, but I cannot wait to get a clear view to the North to see the constellations that I might have seen on previous visits to the Northern hemisphere, but that was before my interest developed and I actually learnt about them!

Bit on the cool side too, after the recent temperatures in Melbourne! :)

Ric
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Eric, I was trying to work out how you were seeing Mars at the zenith then I read where you are.:doh:

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

erick
04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Jet Lag! Cannot sleep. So looked out the window again - the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) and the Little Dipper (Ursa Minor)! Seven stars of Ursa Major are very distinct. Only three of Ursa Minor seen - and one is not moving - Polaris.

Apologies to Northern Hemispherians - but this is very interesting for me. :P

Matty P
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Must be a bit weird Erick, everythings upside down. It's almost like travelling to a different planet. :rolleyes:

Have a safe trip
Matt

matt
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Mars at the zenith?

Rub it in...why don't ya!!!:lol:;)

goober
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Come on, Eric, get controversial. Which hemisphere is better? :gday: