PDA

View Full Version here: : Polonium Halos?

67champ
20-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Is anyone famaliar with Robert Gentry and his work with "Polonium Halos" in granite? Is he for real? Has this been covered here before?

Interesting videos on youtube, search for "Fingerprints of Creation - Polonium Halos"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_is_h9D1vY

dana t

avandonk
20-12-2007, 08:24 PM
As usual these people leave out the fact that Polonium is a daughter product of Radon decay and Radon is a daughter product of Uranium. Uranium isotopes have very long half lives. Uranium-238 has a half life of 4.5 billion years and Uranium-235 has a half life of 704 million years. It is true that Polonium isotopes have very short half lives but they are constantly being generated by the decay of Radon. See diagram below.

Note the three isotopes of Polonium.

These fools are out to dazzle the scientifically uneducated (which is most of humanity) in order to prove their misguided at best views.

Just google Uranium, daughter, products.

Bert

fringe_dweller
20-12-2007, 08:56 PM
lol i spose the granite rocks came pre-weathered!?

Glenhuon
20-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that Avadonk. These people will go to any lengths to "prove" thier view of the world. What ever happened to "Thy shalt not bear false witness" :lol:

Outbackmanyep
20-12-2007, 10:21 PM
:rofl::thumbsup:

circumpolar
21-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Well I counted 9 logical fallacies and several outright lies.
Even as early as the second scentence we are told that there has been no hard evidence for conventional models of geology???

It's the same old same old. (logical fallacy)
e.g. If you can find just one annomally, we must throw out all knowledge aquired so far.
The false dichotomy arbitrarily reduces a set of many possibilities to only two. Their example - Evolution is not possible, therefor we must have been created. Creation wins by default?? (same old...)

Here are some of the logical fallacies that I noticed in one viewing.
-Ad hominem
-Ad ignoratiam
-Confusing association with causation
-Confusing currently unexplainded with unexplainable..... therefore..
-False dichotomy
-Argument from personal incredulity
-False continum
-Non-sequitur (latin 'doen't follow')
-Straw man

Don't forget that publishing in a peer reviewed joural means that you get a 'look in', and not a pass.

One of the reasons that this is not science is that they all ready have their cause and effect hypothesis self verified. Here is the effect-Plutonium Halo....here is the cause- (G##).
If you use this as a premis, we now have another logical fallacy
-Tautology!

avandonk
21-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Very clearly put circumpolar! I just lazily covered you points with one word FOOLS!

Bert

Ric
21-12-2007, 10:49 AM
As a geologist I started watching it with interest thinking that it was heading in another direction then it became obvious as to where it was heading :doh:.

Sorry but this goes against everything that I was ever taught.

67champ
21-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone. Being the unscientific one in this bunch, well it sounded fairly believable, but I knew you all could lead me to the Light... lol

dt

avandonk
21-12-2007, 01:18 PM
It is not a liability being unscientific, as outside my own field I can be as ignorant as anyone else. Watching people knit a jumper out of a strand of wool still amazes me! The trick is to know your own limitations.

These people prey on the ordinary person with glib stories that at first look self consistent but they are an artifice of one half truth after another.

Science is not in the business of proving or disproving the existence of God. Science is a method that merely tries to understand the material world by careful observation and experiment. It can never have an opinion about any ones superstitious beliefs. Superstitious just means above the material world.

I will leave it at that.

Bert

circumpolar
21-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Well Said.

Lets end this thread!