PDA

View Full Version here: : Who would of ever thought?

xstream
20-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Never thought I would ever see this (http://www.bigpond.com/news/topstories/content/20071220/2123484.asp) happen.
kudos to South Sydney Leagues Club. :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
20-12-2007, 08:50 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Let's see the rest of the clubs follow suit, and not just leagues clubs.

xelasnave
20-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Nice to see someone is confronting the evil of gambling... but how will our Government fund its projects if not for the theft that is gambling.
alex

RB
20-12-2007, 10:01 AM
What Government funded projects, everything's privatised. :scared:

And we're still waiting for the old Pacific Hwy to be reopened after the tragic deaths resulting from the bridge collapse back in June's rain storms.
Seems like no one knows who's responsible for the roads anymore.

xelasnave
20-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Well what are they doing with the cash? and still in debt to boot.....
alex

avandonk
20-12-2007, 10:10 AM
One button bandits have been in Victoria for some time now and they are an unmitigated disaster. If you plot their concentration you will find they are all in poorer suburbs.

I am sure the damage they do is far greater than any revenue that ensues due to their existence.

Hardly a week goes by without some unfortunate being convicted with missapropriation of millions of dollars all lost to the pokies. This is the all too visible tip of the iceberg! If you can't win by investing millions how the hell can you win by only investing your weekly wage?!!

My grandfather taught me that of all the major 'sins' of man, wine women and gambling. Only gambling is not inherently self limiting.

I have watched people lose the equivalent of an 80ED in twenty minutes. An FSQ 106 takes only a bit longer. A Paramount in the high rollers room less than a night!

Bert

xelasnave
20-12-2007, 05:34 PM
We legislate to protect folk from the evil of drug addiction..well the drugs that do not generate tax..booze and tobacco are OK they are wonderful getters of cash... so where is the twist in morality I fail to muster to distinguish why folk should not be protected from gambling and from those evil folk who stand by and offer refreshements whilst their robbers do their work...

Still some of our legitimate investment funds offer little better opportunity of return given that those behind them have only the motive to relieve folk of their cash...

A good moral stance is to say well fools and their money are soon parted as if this makes everything right.. not for me I am afraid... how can we tolerate gambling if we oppose armed robbery..in fact I think armed robbery has the higher moral ground because the relationship is clear..no one pretends that it is nice ..whereas the theft of gambling takes place is an environment sanctioned by our Government and worse still our society..and as we are part of that society and dont speak against it we are also smeared with that evil .. it simply is not right even if it generates taxes and provides jobs that does not make it right...

At one of the local pubs some poor fool was taken for over $40,000 the publican knew he had a problem ..from his take he knew ...and from the guys wife saying ..dont let him play he has an uncontrolable addiction..yet the publican stood by and let him loose..and contrary to the Law lent him money to lose in his machines..did he lose his licience upon a complaint..no not at all it seems....that man deserves a bullet in his evil brain.. but so long as he pays his tax he is a wonderful man..so long as he pays the lawyer and the fine he is a wonderful man... but to me He is worse than any evildoer I can think of..even a terrorist has an internal belief that what they do will achieve a better moral outcome..twisted but at least they believe in some sort of morality...but how evil to do what that publican has done... and that is only one case that I happen to know about.

Mr Crowe has my highest respect I hope one day he runs for office.
alex

GrahamL
20-12-2007, 08:06 PM
:confuse3:.. ok so far as I know the Holmes a Court empire is still a major player in the raceing industry ..so are tab machines ok in clubs ?... this is a great move btw .. though I'm a little cynical on the outcome ..particularly if the govt decides to put these liscences up for sale..remember they are not then increasing machine numbers (just sustaining revenue;) ) ..or the league club sells them on and moves the problem elsewhere.

Ric
21-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Good on South Sydney, I alway thought the principle of a club was to have a beer with your mates and a chat.

The pokies are a pretty anti-social invention in my books.

Cheers

ballaratdragons
21-12-2007, 02:35 AM
When I moved from NSW to Victoria back in 1975, I thought I saw the last of the dreaded 'Pokie machines'!

Then lo and behold, they eventually ended up in Victoria too! And with terrible consequences.

I must admit, they did open up a whole new Industry: Gamblers Anonymous Victoria, Pokie Counselling, Financial counselling, Suicide Counselling, etc etc.

Pokies built an industry over night! Sheeesh!

Onya Russell. 1 club down, several thousand to go.