PDA

View Full Version here: : Kylie Minogue over and out?

sailormoon
19-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Been a big fan of Kylie's for a really long time coming now, so i bought the newly released X album and IMHO its probably her worst one yet. Barring a few of the songs (Nudity and others), its pretty bad. She's getting old now i suppose and I don't find her that attractive much more. Do u think this marks the end of Kylie's performances? Good thing is, Kylie will always be remembered for her old classics and songs.

Also been hearing all this stuff about Kylie's iPod (http://www.2dayfm.com.au/win/competitions/kylie-ipod) to be won over the radio. I really want this, it'll add to my other Kylie collection of merchandise.

GrahamL
19-12-2007, 06:58 PM
please ..YES ..j/k sailormoon ..sorry you DID ask :D

manufactured music icons all fill a need in the marketplace I guess
I don't think its that shes old it just she aint this months flavour and as
such wont be getting the promo and songs thrown her way .
I got told by someone fairly well known in the biz that she a has a very
average to poor voice without the processing ..that a lot of this crew
enjoy .. I have to admit her collab with nick cave was pretty off centre
and i liked it a lot ...but can she survive in that pop world from whence she came ? .. I'll go with NO .. for the moment

GeoffW1
19-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh dear,

Not a Kylie fan here, Sailor, I would like to see her vanish utterly. To have to bear the singing budgie as an example of the best we have, it just makes me cringe. I think she is a sort of amalgam of Paris Hilton and Olivia Newton-John :rofl:, the beneficiary of a terrific publicity machine and very very good studio processing. They could even make ME sound like Pavarotti these days :doh:.

Every time I open the Sunday paper inserts, there is Kylie. Argh.

Now I realise this is not a viewpoint shared by everyone, maybe even the majority, but I just pine for a bit of international success for our REAL pop divas, of which we have many (IMHO of course) :D. Why can't we point more to Colleen Hewitt (Colleen where DID you go?) and Kate Cerberano? I don't know.

The one fantastic exception I can point to is the matchless voice of Judith Durham. Now she will never be found singing "Let's get physical" or "Locomotion", but what a voice. Check out "Just a closer walk with thee" on Youtube. She sings jazz too.

I hasten to add I'm not at all a gospel fan, I think the greatest rock tune ever is "Substitute", and the greatest rock guitar solo is "Hippy hippy shake". So I am a bear of little brain, and don't know great art, but I know who I like :P.

Cheers

Geoff

fringe_dweller
20-12-2007, 01:04 AM
to paraphrase someone 'you're having a laff arent ya?'
*shakes fist a poms* ggrrrr their love of trashy celebs, and torturing australians,,, left too oz she would of been a has been 20 yrs ago, she's had a good trot career wise surely?

Starkler
20-12-2007, 07:59 AM
In a market segment that values youth, beauty and style, over substance and talent, I reckon she has for sure.

M110
20-12-2007, 09:05 AM
HHmm, interesting topic on an astronomy forum.

xelasnave
20-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Well she is a star of sorts.
She gets my respect because she is still having a go... we all get old and lose our appeal and she will suffer from the inability of the public to accept this if she can not present the beautiful people image.. she lives in a shallow world but she is not out of her depth.
I feel sorry for the poor girl having to create mental imagery for folk who have no ability to do such for themselves... it is a nasty job and she is one one of many who make their way performing ammusing tricks for a non imaginative audience.
Her talent is the ability to continue trying and to present something new and more exciting than the last show.. so she takes on the impossible with each performance... what a way to make a buck.
alex

sailormoon
20-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm quite different in the sense if the song is entertaining and makes me happy, i'd really like it. I think thats what Kylie does for me, she's a great performer, but i do think her career's on the the decline. Thanks for the memories.

RB
20-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Yes indeed I agree with you. :whistle:
And before anyone else says it, yes I know she's a star......:lol:

xelasnave
20-12-2007, 09:45 AM
And who says you have to have a good voice to entertain and have a following... Jimmy Barnes comes to mind as does Bob Dillon... gee you could make a long list really.
alex

programmer
20-12-2007, 10:32 AM
General Chat
"General topics not covered by the other IceInSpace astronomy forums."

Back on topic, I'm not a 'fan' but I like a few of her songs, and especially some of her videos :eyepop:I think she still looks great, and I know she has a decent voice, from her younger days. Never seen her live or bought any of her music though :)

Gargoyle_Steve
20-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I have to say I can live without her or her music.

I was quite surprised to read last week however that she will be guest starring in the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special #3 - "Voyage of the Damned".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Not sure whether to take this as a sign of her sliding career, or continuing popularity. The Doctor Who program continues to build it's own audience and fan base however, so perhaps her PR people see this as an excellent opportunity to get her face spread around even more. To be honest it did strike me that her face seems to have aged somewhat, going by the main promo shot on that page.

I do hope she doesn't sing on the show however.
:rolleyes:

Glenhuon
20-12-2007, 02:47 PM
[quote=Gargoyle_Steve;281065]I have to say I can live without her or her music.

I was quite surprised to read last week however that she will be guest starring in the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special #3 - "Voyage of the Damned".

I hope the title isn't prophetic for her career prospects :lol:

Must say I'm not a great fan either, much prefer the voice of the aforementioned Judith Durham or the late Eva Cassidy, but each to his own.

Bill

M110
20-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I thouht it would be better discused on the silly teenage girl or the gay bloke forum.lol

Satchmo
20-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Hmm..well this isn't the metro-sexual `nerdy middle age bloke' forum either but we seem to get by :)

Here's Kylie singing live with just a piano for backing.
Her voice is a bit light on , but sounds like she can sing to me :thumbsup:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FZZzMDJfc&feature=related

fringe_dweller
21-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I cant see middle aged/40 yr old KM exactly representing todays youth culture - if she does, so do I! woohoo! :D

and who you calling a metrosexual, buddy? :tasdevil: :scared2: :lol: :lol: :D

if she had been more than a clothes horse/pretty face celeb nice/safe nuetral to interview and murdochs secret love child (well thats what it seems like? lol or has something on him mebbe?) I would be more supportive

fringe_dweller
21-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Katie Noonan is damn hot jazz singer - her new solo album blew me away, at least what i've heard of it, and i liked ger band george a bit

sailormoon
21-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Yea i've heard some of Noonan's work before as well. She has some great vocals, some one to look out for definitely.

There's nothing wrong with metro-sexuals ;)

Satchmo
21-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I think the point is more that shes a show performer, you know backup singers, dancers , many costume changes. The strength of her singing or not is probably secondary to the phenomenen. People love her shows and she makes people feel good. I don't think her mass popularity is a valid stick to beat her with :) I'd rather listen to The Clash , than Kylie, but the utility of the joy she brings so many people is not lost on me..

fringe_dweller
21-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I think i'm getting a 'man bag' for xmas? just like kel knight! :D

fringe_dweller
21-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I know dissing KM to some is a bit like shooting bambi, or more in this case skippy on the Qantas tail? but really does she deserve all that inexplicable massive daily manipulative media coverage? i don't think so, where would she be without being constantly artificially propped up by that? i think i know

ving
21-12-2007, 02:29 PM
kyles... i can take her or leave her... :)

Louwai
21-12-2007, 10:30 PM
How behind the times are you....... I've had one of those for the past 15 years,:whistle: & I've been using a shoulder bag for the past 4 years........:thumbsup:

Some people just can't keep up..

now where's my lip balm !!!! I know it's in this damn bag somewhere.....

ballaratdragons
22-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I've never been a Kylie fan. But many people like her, and good on her for getting to the top. :zzz2:

Now, before she falls in a heap, she should do what many are doing successfully; Getting out of the business while the going is good, then make a comeback tour in 20-30 years time. :lol:

Ric
22-12-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm not a Kylie fan, but I can see that her music is evolving to suit her age. I think she will be big for many years to come.

And when the career begins to wane, there's always the lucrative RSL circuit ;)

Cheers