PDA

View Full Version here: : About to buy binos

programmer
17-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi all.. Have read the recent posts on binoculars and have decided that they are more confusing than telescopes! I've decided to go to the local Ted's camera store near me and just get a 'reasonable' beginner's pair for around the $100 mark. I know, a pittance but hey.. they'll probably be used by my 6 and 10 y.o!

Jumping onto the Ted's website I see these
Bushmaster 20x60WA (http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/2076605_1001222_.html)
*On Special
Was : $199.95
Now : $99.95
http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproductcategory/1001222.html

Would these be a good buy given my criteria? I've found even my cheap 'sports' binos are great to have in conjunction with the dob, so I'm guessing I'll be happy with something like these.

Going to S.A this weekend so I'm a little rushed, but if anyone has any better options or stores (Melbourne SE suburbs) please let me know :) Can't take the dob, and would hate to miss any clear nights!

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I guess the WA in the model number means wide angle.. is this more or less appealing for astro usage?

rmcpb
17-12-2007, 11:51 AM
If you buy these you will have to take into consideration that they will need to be mounted on a tripod of some sort. At 20x magnification you are not going to hand hold these babies.

For general observing when I cannot take any of the scopes I have a set of 9x50s that work well either handheld or on a tripod.

Cheers

erick
17-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think you'll be happy. They don't mention astro use in the blurb. If they don't do that, then you can be pretty sure they are not recommended for that work - any slight chance they could be and the advertising would surely be saying it!

Most astro binos at 20x mag are 80 or greater aperture so this is small - another hint they are designed as daylight binos. However, I cannot see the "giveaway" red ruby objective lens coating in the photo.

And absolutely, even for daytime use, you need to steady these on a tripod or some other way - hand-held will be very difficult - image very unsteady. I'm sure that a 6yr old and even 10 yr old will not be able to hold them steady - I cannot hold 20x steady enough to really look at anything.

Also, at 20x magnification, you need to be fairly experienced to place an object in the sky in the field of view. It's not as easy as it seems - that why telescope finders are typically 8x or 9x.

I agree, try to find something that is said to be for astronomical use in the 9x or 10x range.

Sorry to be a wet blanket! :sadeyes:

erick
17-12-2007, 12:15 PM
This might be a better buy - at York Optical:-

http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/Home/tabid/36/ProductID/580/Default.aspx

I cannot see anything on the Ted's site that would suit your purpose.

programmer
17-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I do have a tripod but I do like a quick 'grab and look' with binos..

I've also seen these listed at Bintel

Gerber Sport 07x50 (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5098)
$129.00
Gerber Sport 08x40 (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5099)
$109.00
Gerber Sport 10x50 (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5096)
$129.00

Would these be suitable for astro work (bit concerned about the 'sport' tag, and also Bintel pricing...)

Is 40mm a 'minimum' aperture for astro usage with binocs?

Thanks.

erick
17-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Make sure you also have a way of mounting the binoculars that you buy, onto the tripod. There are various brackets for most of these "smaller" binoculars - from some dollars (plastic) to $30 or so.

I have to agree - the "sports" tag does not encourage me to think they would be the best for astronomy - ask the Bintel guys - but, hey, any binocular is going to be better than your eyes. But you may find you soon keep them only for daytime use and have to buy another if you want to see nebula, galaxies etc.

I haven't seen anyone seriously using less than 50mm aperture for astronomical work.

Good luck!

programmer
17-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Eric, just saw your post(s) after posting my previous response. Those binos from York Optical look good for my purposes, and I also agree with the points you made. Slightly above my budget (and wanted to avoid going into Melbourne) but... I'd say these have gone to the top of my list. Thanks!

erick
17-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess you haven't got time to get binoculars delivered from Sydney. Otherwise, I'd be recommending you have a good look at what AOE offer:-

http://www.aoe.com.au/binoculars.html

programmer
17-12-2007, 01:28 PM
As long as they would arrive before the weekend... any idea how long shipping takes from AOE? Their website doesn't say, but I will probably email and ask. Also have to factor in shipping charges (about $16).

These few jump out at me from the AOE website:

AOE 10x50WA....$69.00
AOE 8x56 or AOE 11x56....$99.00
AOE 9x60 or AOE 12x60....$109.00
AOE 7x50HR and AOE 10x50HR....$119.00

Are wide angle useful for astro?

The "HR" models seem to be "high resolution" and those models specifically mention Astronomy.. would they be the pick? (e.g. the 10x50's)
http://www.aoe.com.au/7x50hg.html

saberscorpx
17-12-2007, 01:29 PM
The 20x Bushwackers (er, masters) are not especially suited for beginners or stargazing.
I'd steer you toward an AOE 8x40 or 10x50.

WA (wide angle) models are always desirable provided the extra apparent field is free from excessive aberration. The 20x60's true field of view remains a not-so-wide 3.25 degrees.

SJS

iceman
17-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd give them a call if you're in a hurry.. rather than email. You'd have to make your mind up pretty quick given what he XMAS post can be like.

erick
17-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Look at the Specials page. I might buy one of those AOE 7x50 MIF at $99 down from $129 as a present for someone myself. Just note the eyepeices are individually focused, rather than a single central focus. For astronomy, this is good. For rapidly changing focus while birding, say, this would be a pain.

AOE don't provide a phone number - strange, but true.

But if you send an urgent email, I'm sure you'll get a quick response.

They have done Express Postage for me during last year's Christmas/New Year's period so I'm sure they'll do their best to get them to you in time.

Remember a tripod mount - they have a plastic one that should be fine for $9. Yes, plus postage and you cannot handle them before you buy are the disadvantages. I can only say that I've bought three pairs from AOE and had a problem with one fixed quickly at no cost to me - I'm happy with their service and products.

bloodhound31
17-12-2007, 01:39 PM
You might want to mount them on a parralellogram. This will make using them a pleasure!

If you want I can custom build you one to fit for a very reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

I have a choice of some nice dressed timber that looks attractive and plenty of aluminium.

Baz.

programmer
17-12-2007, 01:55 PM
yes they do look good for the price

Yes I had noticed.. I've sent an email, hopefully they will reply soon.

Do you have a link to that? Thanks

Thanks for all other responses too.. very helpful as always! :thumbsup:

programmer
17-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Must admit, I had to go and look this up :D (IIS naturally.. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,383,0,0,1,0)

Sure does look impressive! Is this the kind of thing you mean? Will surely let you know if and when... but for now they will be a 'grab and go' tool.

erick
17-12-2007, 02:00 PM
At the bottom of the binocular page - AOE-BAP $9

I have the metal one AOE-BAM - $19. This would be better if you can extend that far.

programmer
17-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Had a response from AOE.. they should get here by Thursday! :D

So the 10x50HR for $119 are the pick? I'll place an order now if that's the case.

Adding in the metal mount adds $9 to the postage.. it's not obvious how to combine items into one shipment, but I'll keep looking. Otherwise I could buy one locally at some stage?

Edit: ignore last para.. found you have to choose payment method before you can continue shopping...

programmer
17-12-2007, 02:33 PM
In summary:

Local:
York Optical: General purpose 10x 50mm YO7-1050
$147 (down from $247)

Ship:
AOE 10x50HR....$119.00 + $16 shipping = $135
AOE 10x50WP....$129.00 Porro-prism. + $16 shipping = $145

Any better?

erick
17-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Surely the mount should not cost extra to ship (I've had this before - not sure how to buy multiple items using their on-line system).

I suggest you order by email, get them to give you a cost then their bank account for EFT'ing the funds across - anyway, email will sort out how to do it.

erick
17-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Your choice - I don't have experience with any of these binoculars. York means a trip to the city (and a phone call first to check they have them in stock in Melbourne). AOE means you cannot handle them first and you have to deal with any problems that may arise by email initially - plus shipping costs. If AOE, the extra $10 for the water proofing would be handy - keep the dew from finding its way inside the binoculars. The York ones seem significantly lighter - better for the children to hold? Decisions, decisions???

programmer
17-12-2007, 02:53 PM
It's ok, I worked it out. Eric please check your PM :)

programmer
17-12-2007, 03:07 PM
All done.. have ordered the 10x50HR/HG's from AOE. (They are also waterproof like the WP's).

Will pick up a mount locally at some stage.

Thanks for all the help! I'll report back on how I find them. Now for a few days' waiting. I hate waiting... :(

erick
17-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Better ignore my PM then :P

bloodhound31
17-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Yep, thats one of them. I can make them as light or heavy duty as you like though. That one is pretty bulky. I can also make them to fit your tripod.

let me know.

Cheers,
:thumbsup:
Baz.

CoombellKid
17-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Actually, you can pretty well gennerally tell if a pair of bino's will be any
good for astronomy. Have a look at the front lenses. If they're red avoid
them if they are green they will probably be ok.

regards,CS

programmer
17-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Yep, was wondering about that. I gather that's some sort of benefit for daylight/terrestrial use. Anyway I'm sure this pair will be far better than anything I've used before, for less than I thought I'd have to fork out!

CoombellKid
19-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I had a set of 30x60's which had ruby coloured objectives. Although I thought
they were pretty good astro-wise. I remember at the time someone told me
the ruby coloured coatings are to stop solar glare during use in the day, and
something about colour correction. I forget now as it was a few years ago. I
have a pair of Andrews 20x80 tripplets for $199.00 which IMO are great
bang for the buck. If you only got a couple of hundred to spend they are well
worth it, but need a mount.

regards,CS

programmer
19-12-2007, 11:27 PM
20x80!:eyepop:sounds like a bargain alright. I'm sure I'll get a higher powered pair down the track. 30x60's must be awesome as well.

programmer
21-12-2007, 09:47 AM
A big :thumbsup: for AOE with my binos arriving yesterday as promised! The clouds even parted for a few seconds last night and I got a view of the Moon, and Orion looked quite nice too, just before my neighbour turned on both his outside lights :mad2:.

I like the aesthetics, and the 'rubberised' feel of them, and they don't feel too heavy (950 grams) for short periods. A reasonable 'take away' substitute for the 10" dob I can't take with us to S.A...

Thanks all for the guidance.

erick
21-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Good news! Hope you enjoy them and they do what you wanted.

:thumbsup: to AOE!

saberscorpx
21-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Congrats on the new glass, and happy hunting. :thumbsup:

SJS