PDA

View Full Version here: : Ioptron refractor

jjjnettie
16-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I need some advice.:shrug:
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/ioptron_refractor.htm
It seems like a nice setup, with an 80mm refractor, GPS and GoTo and a 50,000 object database.
For only $620!!
It also comes with either a small reflector or a small Mak.
I'm torn. I could buy this NOW ( instant gratification}, or should I save up and buy an ED 80 on a GEM with GoTo.
I'd love to delve deeper into astrophotography, but the payload on the Ioptron with the refractor is quite small.
But you can just buy the mount and tripod for $545 then put the camera and lens on that. http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/ioptron_mount.htm

Will someone please push me in the right direction.
Thanks.

ballaratdragons
16-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Wait it out Jeanette :thumbsup:

The ED80 and GoTo GEM is certainly worth waiting for.

Also, those little one armed forks don't have very good reviews.

Also, they need a proper wedge made for them or you get image rotation in your images.

allan gould
17-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Jeanette
I have the Ioptron mount. I purchased it direct from China and not from USA as was originally advertised.
Realistically I purchased the basic mount (5,000 objects, no GPS and NO scope) purely as a small portable travel mount for use with my small scopes. I have used a WO 80mm Apo triplet and 90mm MAK with the mount sucessfully.
Bottom line, the WO is too much scope ie has long moment of arm but the 90mm MAK is perfect for it. The 5,000 object base is small but has additional user entered data base of 128 objects. GOTO is OK but needs good setup.
I just wanted it for a no fuss ALT/AZ mount to travel down to my brother's farm in SA with dark site. Its better than I thought and a lot better than no scope. Are the additional extras to the basic mount worth it? - No not in my opinion, just guilding the lily. But as a small compact travel alt/az with small scope - yes and it does have good enough tracking and goto. The 90mm MAK is just right for it and I bought it second hand as a guidescope. Does both roles perfectly once collimated.
Hope this helps,
Regards, Allan

jjjnettie
17-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Ioptron also do a GEM mount with GoTo for just over $1000. Doesn't come in purple, but one must ask oneself if that is really necessary.

allan gould
17-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Have heard (from a proposed dealer) that the goto on those GEM mounts was not up to scratch and thats why they did not take up the option of carrying them. The HEQ5-pro is a far better mount with pec, goto, autoguiding and good for astrophotography (~1400$)
Allan

wasyoungonce
17-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm using a Gotostar (earlier version of Gotonova)...probably the same trial version from the said "proposed dealer" ha ha ha.:D

Anyway I got it for a song, they sold it to me as used stock.

It works fine. It can sometimes be a little inconsistent in slews but generally it's acceptable and will land the target somewhere within a 32mm eyepiece on a C8. I sometimes get accumulated pointing errors after observing for awhile. I don't know why. Possibly the mount? So, i need to sync align it to objects sometimes to correct.

These problems are probably more due to my mount (EQ5) and the fact I really need to adjust the backlash in Declination...it's veryyy sloppy.

It tracks very well and will keep an object centered for hours but it does not have an auto-guide port (gotostar handset) so you need to run auto-guiding via a computer to the handset. Its handset is easy to use and has heaps of objects in it's data bank.

This is where it all comes unstuck. Ascom driver problems and errors.

The Ascom driver has bugs and refuses to work. At the moment I can use Astrophysics driver or generic Meade LX driver in lieu but would be nice for IOptron to fix the bug (they have known about this since may 2007).

However, I agree, a HEQ5 is a better proposition for the cost.

edit:

gotostar and gotonova also have PEC and goto. I believe the gotonova has an auto-guide port but don't quote me on that.

acropolite
18-12-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm with Ken on this one, unless you really want a small grab & go, the money is better spent on an ED80. If you want something to swing it about on (as a nice grab) & go Andrews have the GS equivalent of the porta mount for $249.

jjjnettie
18-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I thought that this setup would be suitable to the lesser demands of Video Astrophotography. I'd mount the Gstar on it with a 200 or 300mm lens.
The longest exposure I do is 2.5 seconds.
Decisions decisions

allan gould
19-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Have done some video astro with it and to be honest could not recommend it due to mount instability. OK for visual but thats it.
Allan

Karls48
19-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Jeanette, I don’t have Ioptron mount but I got two GStar cameras and I think that with 200mm lens and 2.56second maximum exposure GStar will take reasonable images with almost any mount that tracks the stars at all. I used GStar and 135mm lens on very old Nexstar mount that could keep star in field of view for only about 6 minutes and images were OK.
But if you intend along the way to get camera that can take longer exposures then better mount would be way to go.

allan gould
19-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Jeanette
I should have read your post more carefully. I was using a small mak at 1250fl. If you were using a 200mm camera lens then it would be perfect for that. I apologise.
I was able to make ~30 sec integrations with the ioptron mount at 1250mm. The mount does trak quite well at high magnifications but you must set it up level for it to be reasonable.
Allan

jjjnettie
19-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I've taken note of the extra mods that are needed. Thanks for the PM's.
Sirius Optics took delivery yesterday of the Ioptrons. Might have a look at it on Saturday.

allan gould
21-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Jeanette
As promised I took a quick video with my Watec 120N+ integrating video camera through a 4" achro scope on the Ioptron mount. Tracked surprisingly well. After an hour moon still in 25mm eyepiece.
Took a quick 30 sec avi and processed for you.
Regards, Allan

jjjnettie
22-12-2007, 01:09 AM
I took the plunge and bought the refractor this morning. The one with the 5000 object database. No GPS.
I had a quick play with it this afternoon before going to work.
IMO this little scope has better optics than the Skywatcher achro's. No colour fringing desernable in the daytime. Tonight on the moon there was a bit, but I can live with that.
The alignment process is simple, with 3 choices, Easy, One star or Two star. The rest of the menu is easy to negotiate through as well.
I bought a couple of extras to go with it. A fitted solar cap, a dovetail bar to attach the cameras to and a cigarette lighter doovey so I can plug the Cube into a power pack.
I'll give a more thorough report when I give it a proper work out. But so far so good.

Phil
22-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Great stuff JJJ look forward to the report. Now watch out for the rain and clouds. Can not believe the clouds lately.
Phil