PDA

View Full Version here: : Small Binos

JethroB76
14-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm thinking of a small pair of binos for my 8 year old for a bit of day and night use, perhaps a pair in the range of 7x or 8x and 35, 40 or 50mm of aperture - basically a light easy to use affordable pair that won't fall apart in six months.

I have a pair of 11x70s which obviously aren't suitable for him and I'm sure he'd like to have his own for when I'm using mine or have the scope out.

Just looking at AOE, they have a whole range at $100 and under..does anyone have any experience with these, are any of these reasonable at this price or alternatively are any to be avoided?

jjjnettie
15-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Dick Smiths sell 10x50 binos for around $50. I owned a pair and found them quite OK.
They may not be top quality, but at least the world won't end if they are accidently dropped.
A tripod would have to be a must to make viewing more comfortable.

Gargoyle_Steve
15-12-2007, 04:53 AM
I have a pair (2 pairs actually) of the compact little 10x32 bino's that Andrew's Communications used to give away with a scope- the first pair came with my original 10" dob, the second pair I bought off the forum here!

They focus well, and have a separate diopter adjustment for the right eye.
I can't find them on Andrew's site any more but I think they used to sell for $29. This appears to be their smaller brother (listed at $19):

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm
Scroll right down, the 10x25A model shown bottom right is the same make/style/design. Perhaps a phone call to Lee Andrew's or his staff?

I have found my 10x32's to be pleasant and effective to use, very portable, and therefore very useful. I keep one pair in the car all the time, and the other set with my astro gear. They seem to give a very clear (and quite "contrasty" view on the night skies) for such small bino's. They come in a soft pouch that has a generously sized belt loop on the rear, a velcro flap keeps the pouch closed, and they have a "near impossible to detach" neck string(too thin to be a neck strap).

I find that I use one pair or the other of these on an almost daily basis - astronomy sessions, observing birds, ships going past the local headland, I was even watching ants crawling around a flower at the other end of the back yard yesterday.

I have 5 pairs of bino's in total, with these 10x32's being the smallest :P
however I find that I tend to only use either these compact bino's, or go to the other end of the scale and use my 20x80's.

I would recommend these for use by children, and have been thinking of sending a pair of these home with my 8 year old son (who doesn't live with me) but he's a bit too careless with loosing things by leaving them at the park, etc, yet.

Hope you find this of benefit!

saberscorpx
15-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Any of the three porros seem reasonably priced.
All are FMC widefields with plenty of eye relief.
Even the 10x50 weighs less than 900g (2 lbs).

Personally I'd choose the 8x40 as a good complement to the 11x70.

SJS

JethroB76
15-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys.
Im still leaning toward either the 7x35 or 8x40s myself.

dannat
15-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I have some 7x35's which I use for both terrestrial & occasional astro use. They are very nice, got them from Aust geographic. I have seen m42, pleiades, eta carina, & 47tuc with them - give good views from a dark site. I have a 7yr old boy who has a slight bit of difficulty with them (ie. hand holding them)- but if I mount them on a low camera tripod they are easy for him to pan around with. in the bush for birds he uss 7x21's which he finds very easy to use - though i personally don't like them - view is bit restricted, abd quality of glass apears less. hope this helps. dan