PDA

View Full Version here: : Favorite Lyrics

netwolf
14-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi All,

Well its another cloudy night and just listening to my music collection. And I came across some of my all time favorites. The thing is when I first came to Australia at the age of 9, I did not realize there was a FM radio, so I kept my dial on the the old 2ch, 2sm etc. Little did i realize that the music that I was listening to was sung before i was even born. So the classics to some are what I grew up on. Going through my collection i was thinking of how in those "classics" the lyrics seemed to tell a much more meaning full tale, sadly not as true of some of the more contemporary music i have heard. Dont get me wrong there are many good contemporary lyricists that i like, but often they are drowned by the commercially popular 'formula' music.

The one that is my all time favorite is Peace Train and 2nd would have to be Father and Son. I think especially around this time of year both songs seem to mean more.

Of course i am also a big fan of Indian music, its the only reason i can still manage to converse in my mother tongue. And in that there are to many to list as my favorites.

So i put it out there what are your Favorites.

Here is mine:

Regards
Fahim

beren
14-12-2007, 01:14 AM
:) Two Cat Steven songs from two great albums....Teaser and the Firecat and Tea for the Tillerman....my favourite artist.

thanks to U-tube Im starting to discover Indian classical music {and Aishwarya Rai :)}

mlcolbert
14-12-2007, 08:33 AM
innagadadavidda anyone?
:lol:

michael

once we get the translation of course.

wavelandscott
14-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I think I know what you mean...growing up in a "rural" area of the US our choices were a bit limited to both kinds of music...country and western.

Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn...I could go on and on (just like a Time-Life record advertisement).

It was not until my teen years that I discovered the FM Dial and classic rock...

There are just too many good lyrics to choose from....but your thread did let me stroll down memory lane.

Cheers!

netwolf
14-12-2007, 09:26 AM
How about 'the day the music died' i wonder how many people today know what Don Mclean was referring to.

casstony
14-12-2007, 11:52 AM
'Cat's in the Cradle' is one that moves me every time. It's a good reminder of the fleeting opportunity to spend time with your kids.

avandonk
14-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Netwolf us old blokes do know when the music died. The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and ?. Plane crash? Father Son and Holy Ghost.

When I was twelve (1962) I heard some twit (I thought) DJ say that this new group the Beatles would be BIG. I thought he was just being a bit hyper.

When Cat Stevens first album came out I was 17!

I was a whole sixteen when Friday on My Mind was released.

Too many memories to mention you have rekindled.

Thanks

Bert

leon
14-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Bert I remember those days very well, and i think i was about 16-17 as well, timeless classics and i still like to listen to that sort stuff, gee, I must be getting on.

Leon

netwolf
14-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Bert,

Can you imagine what those three could have produced had they lived. A great tragedy.
I remember those days it was only 85 but thanks to 2ch,2ws and 2sm it was the 50's, 60's and 70's. So i completely missed the 80's music till much later.
Elvis, Beatels, Eagels, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Roy Orbison, Frank Sinatra, The Wright Brothers, Patie Label, Dian Ross, Simon and Garfunkel, Louie Armstrong, John Lennon, James Taylor, Carole King, Van Morisson, Bob Dylan, James Brown and on and on they music played. I always felt out of step with the kids at school wondering why none of them liked this stuff. Stuff i could understand and relate to, in plane english. But I must thank Jimmy Barnes, learning to listen and understand his words really made me forget my Indian accent.

Tracey Chapman is another fav, her lyrics are well thought out and she really tells a story well in it. Also a big fan of Country Music as it keeps to theme i like in music which are good lyrics that tell a story with some meaning.

Regards
Fahim

ving
14-12-2007, 04:26 PM
lonely heart by you am I :)

(i was going to say closer by NIN, but thats rude ;))

netwolf
14-12-2007, 04:45 PM
David, i have found that often some of the rude ones are actually quiet well put together. So from a lyrical sense they are quiet an accomplishment.

beren, yes u-tube is great and so is Aishwarya.

Regards

PCH
14-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Elvis, Beatels, Eagels, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Roy Orbison, Frank Sinatra, The Wright Brothers, Patie Label, Dian Ross, Simon and Garfunkel, Louie Armstrong, John Lennon, James Taylor, Carole King, Van Morisson, Bob Dylan, James Brown and on and on they music played. I always felt out of step with the kids at school wondering why none of them liked this stuff. Stuff i could understand and relate to, in plane english. But I must thank Jimmy Barnes, learning to listen and understand his words really made me forget my Indian accent.

Hi Fahim,

not wishing to be picky, but I think these were the guys that did the first powered flight in an aeroplane :whistle: Perhaps it's the Righteous Brothers you were thinking of :thumbsup:

Cheers

jjjnettie
15-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Fahim,
I was listening to Cat Stevens tonight!!
Ravi Shankar is in my CD collection. Ironically though, on the album I'm listening to now "East meets East", he plays mainly traditional Japanese music.

ballaratdragons
15-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Ahhhh yes!

Back in the days when lyrics were meaningful and told a story.

Some of the meaningful 'memorable' lines from days gone by like:

'Tutti Frutti ahh Rooty'
'Barp barp be-loo arp, a barb bang boo'
'Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka-dot bikini'
'Mash Potato yeah yeah yeah, Mash Potato yeah yeah yeah, Mash Potato etc . .

Yep, good ol' lyrics :rofl:

Dujon
15-12-2007, 09:29 AM
There's a challenge there for us, Ken. I've oft times wondered if there is a 'song' which has fewer words than Mashed Potato. If I recall correctly it has the words 'mashed', 'potato', 'oh' and 'yeah' - and that assumes that the last two are words.

'Songs' which have only one word or phrase which is used just the once (e.g. Bombora) are excluded.

Do you remember Crash Craddock (Boom, Boom, Baby)? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. There is no doubt whatsoever that the current generation does not win the gong for stupid music.

GeoffW1
15-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Even the Monkees did deep and meaningful. "Pleasant valley Sunday", written by Carol King no less, is a good one.

For great lyrics I like "Teach your children" by Crosby, Stills and Nash, currently out here.

Cheers

avandonk
15-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Suite Judy blue eyes does it for me. Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Sad is it not?

Bert

netwolf
15-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Oops... well there would be no "day the musics died" if it were not for the Wright brothers. ;)

Ken, well yes there are those and they even made the girls swoon and faint, if the old b/w clips are anything to go by.

Regards
Fahim

Outbackmanyep
15-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I remember seeing Men Behaving Badly (UK) and Gary (Martin Clunes) said referring to a Seekers song he was singing along to..."They knew how to write a tune in those days....couldn't do words obviously...but they could do tunes!"

Those ones reminded me of that! lol

Cheers!:thumbsup:

PS....you left out "Be Bop a Lula"

Outbackmanyep
15-12-2007, 09:16 PM
The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
That gets my "What The?" for the week! lol

:thumbsup:

GeoffW1
15-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, Steven Stills wrote that and other songs for his girlfriend of the time, the folksinger Judy Collins. It reflects the on-off nature of their long-running affair:

"Please be gone I'm tired of you" and "Will you come see me"

Stills is a popular music genius I think, the like of McCartney and Townshend. He once auditioned for the Monkees of all things!!!

Cheers

Outbackmanyep
15-12-2007, 11:58 PM
FYI- David Crosby and Graham Nash did back up vocals on David Gilmour's On An Island song from the album of the same name, Great vocalists!
:cheers:

ballaratdragons
16-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Don't forget Pheobe Snow! She has more octaves than any other Human!!!!

and can sing incredible!