PDA

View Full Version here: : What price for a good 12" mirror?

erick
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Just wondering what's the price of a "good" 12" f5.6 mirror. A quick look at what I can see on the internet suggests US$1300-$1700 in the USA.

Question triggered by this scope with a 305mm f5.6 Deep Sky Optics mirror now reduced to $1950 (See IceTrade), available in Melbourne.

http://telescope.bigpondhosting.com/photos.htm

iceman
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
That really looks like a lovely 2nd hand scope. It's obviously more expensive than a GSO brand, but the quality parts and premium workmanship look excellent.

Go for it Eric!

rmcpb
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I think if I had the readies I would be snapping that one up!!

GrahamL
12-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Around $1600 maybe eric.. its a lot of nice looking scope for an
extra $300 !!...does it cool reasonably quick ?.. I really don't know much about full thickness mirrors , there seems to be lots of air flow there .

SkySearcher
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
It looks like a nice quality skope eric. But at over 1700mm long could it fit in your car?

SkySearcher
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Opps, scratch that.
Just noticed it splits in two.

Now it looks Very nice. :thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
12-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, nice unit, Eric.
But is the mirror any better than a GS 12"?
GS 12" is only $849 with the 10:1 Crayford etc etc etc.

Must be something special to make the one you linked to so expensive.

erick
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks everyone (including PMers), I've got the answer I wanted. I have no further questions. :thanks:

Starkler
13-12-2007, 08:21 AM
The mirror is claimed to have been made by Mark Suchting, so yes it should be better than a gso mirror. If considering that scope myself I would contact Mark to verify that its one of his.

skies2clear
14-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I second this. If it's one of Marks, the answer is an unreserved YES!

Go for it!

Clear skies

Omaroo
15-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Having two of Marks 12" f/5 mirrors, I can vouch for the price this guy is asking. For $1,950 or so that he wants, you'll be getting the mirror...... and the rest of his hard work for a few bucks (figuratively speaking).

Extremely good value for this well-made machine I think.

Not sure about the full thickness though - mine are 1.6" precision annealed pyrex, so Mark may have made this one a while ago.

skeltz
18-12-2007, 12:30 AM
HMM 1950.00 for a mirror ?I..myself am getting a carl zambuto 12.5 f5 mirror for$1700.00 landed to my door from america
but hey the proof will be in the pudding.. and if they are real good let all the other ATMS KNOW!!

cheers all

Satchmo
18-12-2007, 10:17 AM
DSO 12" mirrors have never been more than $1700 and only 3 months lead time at present.

skies2clear
18-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Congrats on your Zambuto mirror. Should be very nice indeed, but keep in mind DSO mirrors are the equal.

Having imported a lot of stuff myself from overseas, I have had a few issues when goods have been totally trashed in transit. This is less likely to happen if ordering from a local (Sydney) supplier, and any warranty or insurance issues will be less of a hassle, should anything happen.

Don't mean to sound negative though, enjoy your fabulous mirror when it arrives,

Cheers
Nick

ausastronomer
18-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I have looked through plenty of Marks' mirrors (Deep Sky Optics) and also have looked through several Zambutos and countless other scopes with premium optics, including my own OMI mirror. I can tell you that Marks' mirrors are every bit the equal of Carls'. ie The best money can buy. They don't get any better. At this level a mirror from any one of four or five of the worlds' best mirror makers will be indistinguishable. I rate the elite few as Mark Suchting, Carl Zambuto, James Mulherin (OMI) and Steve Kennedy.

Cheers,
John B

ausastronomer
18-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Ken,

Yes and by quite a margin. It depends what level of excellence you need, want, or can afford. An experienced observer would have no trouble picking this mirror from the absolute best GSO mirror each and every time, under any conditions. The GSO mirrors represent excellent value for money and are exceptionally good on average for mass produced optics. They are clearly better than the mass produced scopes of years past.

Mark's mirrors are at a completely different level and designed for the top end of the market, not the bargain hunter.

It is indeed quite special. It has a mirror made by one of the top four mirror makers on the planet, for starters. That scope is an absolute steal at that price for someone looking for a "premium" tube dob. The mirror is worth $1,700 alone. The cost of the scope components would be over $2,500 and that doesn't include the countless man hours to build it.

Cheers,
John B

CoombellKid
19-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Carl Zambuto as of a month or two, is no longer a supplier of mirrors
on a mirror to home builder basis. His backlog has become too great
and the hang time too long, that he has stopped taking orders. You
can only order a Zambuto mirror if you are ordering through one of
the manufactures he supplies like Obsession.

When I build my 16" (or maybe an 18") dob I'll be building it with one
of Marks mirrors. I've not looked through one as of yet (maybe I should).
But I heard enough from several people to tell me they are a worthy
investment. I'm pleased we have someone local that can do perform
this service.

regards,CS

Starkler
19-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I got my 15" made by Mark with a custom focal length delivered for about $700 less than i was quoted for an imported OMI Torus equivalent which was a catalogue item.