PDA

View Full Version here: : Rigel QuickFinder v Telrad

PeteMo
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I've got a Skywatcher 10" dob f1200 and I'm not into the upside down inside out view through the 8 x 50 finder scope that came with the scope.

I therefore want to replace the 8 x 50 finder with either the Rigel quickFinder or the Telrad. I have also used red dot finders in the past a liked the way I could just plonk the red dot on the star or planet I wanted to view. but liked the way the Rigel/Telrad make use of concentric circles to mark 1/2 degree, degree etc and offeres a larger aperture than typical red dot finders.

As the Telrad sight is located some way back from the front of the tube compared with the Rigel, I'm leaning more towards the Rigel.

Does anyone have experience using either of these on a shortish 10" dob?

Cheers
Pete

rmcpb
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I use a Telrad on an 8", its mounted beside the focuser with the RACI finder mounted a bit back so I can use it without fogging the Telrad with my breath.

Works well and there are plenty of Telrad finder charts on the web.

Cheers

goober
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
When I was into Dobs I was a Telrad man. Loved the half, 2, 4 degree circles, and the fact a lot of atlases supported them.

I've got a 1x finder on my refractor now, which combined with a 3 degree FOV eyepiece, gets me where I want to go.

wavelandscott
11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I really like the Telrad (but have not used the Rigel).

I have one on my 8 inch dob mounted reflector and also on my 12.5 inch dob reflector. I really found it uncomfortable to use the original finder scopes and so simply use the Telrad now.

I find the "bullseye" natural to use and would be lost without it.

I have recently mounted a red dot finder as a replacement for the small finder on my ED80 refractor...but have not had much chance to use it yet so I can not comment.

Clear Skies!

Starkler
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I have both and for me they were simply a pointing device ie I havent made use of the degree reticules for navigating with star charts.

The main difference is in the size and weight. The smaller rigel comes with two mounting feet designed to fit different diameter OTA tubes and can easily serve double duty if you own a refractor as well. You wouldn't put a telrad on a small scope like a refractor.
The Rigel works just fine on my 10" dob :)

JethroB76
12-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Agree, the rigel works well, has a small footprint and is very light. The telrad is also a beauty but takes up more room and brings a little more weight.
Either in conjunction with a RACI is great on a Dob IMO

Sentinel
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I have had scopes a used both a Telrad and a Quikfinder.

The Quikfinder is far better. It weighs significantly less and ergonomically is easier to use as it sits further off the scope, which also helpful with dew.

The Quikfinder has a built in pulse mechanism.

Cheers.

JethroB76
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Good point.
I forgot that (probably because its been so long since I have used it :(), its a great feature that can be built into the Telrad but comes standard in the Rigel.:thumbsup: