PDA

View Full Version here: : guitar players

Phil
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
check out the new self turning guitars very cool. http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/RobotGuitarVideoVoting.aspx
Phil

fringe_dweller
09-12-2007, 05:37 PM
yes Phil, seen that beast, bit gimmicky, changing tunings too often, or even a few times, shortens the life of the strings dramatically, so i dont see the sense in it personally, plus the extra weight with gadgets must be significant? still.. prolly a collectors item

Matty P
09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
You've got to admit, it would be a must have if you play the guitar. :thumbsup: Who cares about the extra weight or shortened life of the strings, I wouldn't! :lol: :D

Matt

Phil
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
it is pricey too.
Phil

Loupy31
09-12-2007, 09:43 PM
"A must have", well If you are a guitarist, you should be able to turn you guitar if it goes out of turn, even while you are playing.

Loupy31

Outbackmanyep
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Might be one of those guitars you buy then don't play it or even let anyone touch it.....like Nigel Tufnells! LOL

fringe_dweller
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
gotta admit its a pretty darn clever and priceless piece of advertising for gibson ;) i've seen it mentioned in newspapers, you name it all over the web,- marketers dream!?
i agree thats pretty lame if you can't tune your git by ear, or at least be able to recognise when its out of tune, and tweak it while playing, you aint actually a 'guitarist' till you can IMO - mind you i still like to start with perfect concert from a digital tuner for conveniance and speed, which is certainly not new technology now, and key of A tuning forks held to bridge before that worked dreamily, and still do,
...what do want another device that actually plays the darn thing for ya? LOOOL
if the git could go to the shops for you to buy another set of strings, then put them on after taking the old ones off, i would be more impressed.

GeoffW1
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Fascinating thing this guitar, weight has always been an issue with Les Pauls, a bit under 5 Kg and heavier than a Strat despite their elegant body shape.

This Robot model has a routed or "chambered" body and is reported to be about the same weight as a LP Std. There does not seem to be any specified weight on the Gibson website, not even in the owner's handbook which you can download there.

Cheers

Cheers

Loupy31
09-12-2007, 10:13 PM
LOL............Nigel Tufnell , Its famous for its sustain, you can go out for a bit and you will still be hearing that one................................ I think its a 57 or 59 lesPaul

Loupy31

fringe_dweller
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
ah yes interesting, well it aint a LP unless its solid mahogany, amongst other factors, very dense and heavy, and a strat is either ash or alder i believe, ash being the lighter strat, altho i have an old yamaha hard tail strat clone of solid mahogany thats very heavy, still gotta love the 'dark' mahogany sound and extra sustain - after playing gibson basses in my youth, ive had enuff of being a beast of burden :lol: my back wont take two hours of that :P

Loupy31
09-12-2007, 10:31 PM
The density of the wood and type of wood is what give the guitar its tone, the moment you start routing the body for wiring and such or to lighten it, it becomes anything but a Gibson LesPaul as in the traditional Les Pauls.

fringe_dweller
09-12-2007, 10:33 PM
speaking of heavy gits, a mate just bought a taylor 710 acoustic, solid rosewood body!!!! :eyepop: and came round for jam the other night - wow made my martin GT16 feel like it was made of balsa wood, i would say it seemed easily twice the weight, altho my custom maton 12 string is pretty darn heavy
but man what a nice acoustic (the taylor) :love: :love:

GeoffW1
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Aha yes, I dribbled after a Gibson EB2 when I was young, instead got this one, a Maton MS1100. It weighs 9 lb, or 4 and a bit Kg.

Cheers

fringe_dweller
09-12-2007, 11:43 PM
hey interesting bass Geoff, must be pretty rare now? have to admit dont know much about them, I didnt have any of the glamorous gibsons, had an old cowboy style 'Victory' that I did up a bit, converted it to a fretless, still dont know why i did that or used it to this day lol but it weighed like it was made of lead.
woody allen always comes to mind when I think of gibson bass's now, specially EB's, recently tried to digitise and watched a mates now rare hot licks instructional woody allen video and he was playing the firebird from memory, hot vid!

Loupy31
09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I am fortunate to own a 59 gibson lespaul goldtop and a 62 fender strat, and i would'nt sell then for anything..............I saw a 62 fiesta re strat selling for $25000.00 us a few months ago.........If i wait for a few more yesr I could pay off the house.

loupy31

fringe_dweller
10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
:rofl: awesome, you win dude! there's a few folks on here with gits in the 5 digit range - not me tho, tis all weird when you can build something that sounds and plays exactly the same, but without that pedigree/history and name brand logo its value will never go up :lol:
my rarest baby is an untouched 1936 round neck/v-necked hybridy thing (model 37 - thats how much they were in dollars ;) mid range model) regal dobro resonater, in good nick and original case ect. that i picked up from the bush for not much. :whistle:

fringe_dweller
10-12-2007, 12:30 AM
heres a pretty old film pic of it

GeoffW1
10-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Omigawd, you could pay off the house now I think. Depending on condition, history and verification, US$100K to $500K for a goldtop.

Seriously, I would not talk too much about that to people around your way(present company excepted, we lust for telescopes now) :P

Cheers

GeoffW1
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi,

Yes, mine is no. 171 of 208, a 1966. They were not a tremendous hit, as even then everyone wanted a Precision Bass, but it has a great neck.

There were 2 sold recently on Grouse Guitars, which was the first I had seen of them anywhere. They are evidently not worth a huge amount.

Cheers

DavidU
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Larry Carlton gave me a shot on his 50's goldtop Les Paul that Robben Ford used on the tour here over easter. It was prob worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was very nice !

fringe_dweller
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
lol yes rare and old doesnt always equal valuable does it :) it has to be in fashion eh - my dobro may be worth as much as 5k on a really good day, or as low as 3k or even 2500, its hard to tell, depends if fish are biting i guess.( i was offered 3k by someone who just wanted to cannibilize it for the spyder/cone :scared: not on yer nelly son) i didnt pay anywhere near that much for it ;) i'm going to sell it soon to pay for other music gear, as i'm not rich. edit: wish it was a national lol
Its good to see ppl posting pics of their instruments, we've had threads on people's cars, pets, cats, dogs, horses, lizards, frogs, holidays, families, hobbies ect. things that are important in peoples lives, maybe we should have a thread on peoples musical instruments? ;)