PDA

View Full Version here: : Polarized glasses VIEWING SUN

caleb
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Is it possible and safe to use polarized sun glasses for looking at the solar eclipse in February.

sheeny
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
The short answer is no.

It's only a partial solar eclipse. The visible part of the sun will still be at full strength. Don't do it!

Al.

[1ponders]
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
The only safe way to view the sun directly is through filters designed for that purpose.

g__day
05-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I ponder - would welding glasses suffice - or aren't they blocking all the correct frequencies?

Possibility two might be look briefly (under 3 seconds) through a pinhole - but I still think that would cause damage.

erick
05-12-2007, 11:44 PM
:scared: Scary! Definitely dangerous! If you cannot access the right equipment, how about watching it on the internet - there will be some sites streaming live images, surely.

Read here for all the guidance you need:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,448,0,0,1,0

OneOfOne
06-12-2007, 07:39 AM
If I was wearing the glasses while looking through the PST I would consider it safe, otherwise.....I wouldn't even think about it!

rumples riot
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
The use of polarised sun glasses is dangerous and will damage your sight. Do not use them. You can buy eclipse glasses from Bintel and these are safe.

Only #14 welding goggles are considered safe if you are going to use welding glasses. The glass is dark enough and thick enough to protect the eyes from the dangerous rays. If you are not sure of the type of welding goggles then don't use them. It is not safe otherwise.

No looking through pinholes either. You can make a pin hole camera and have it project the image onto some carboard and you look at the cardboard but definitely not looking through it.

Bottom line is, the only time it is safe to look at the sun with naked eyes during an eclipse is when you are in the zone of totality. When the moon has completely covered the sun and you can only see the corona. If the barest amount of sun light is still showing then you cannot look at the sun with the naked eye or with an unprotected telescope. You will go blind.

rumples riot
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
The PST is safe to use naked eye. You don't need to wear glasses for it to be safe. It is already safe. It is designed to look at the sun One of one.

davidpretorius
06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
No, dont do it!

rmcpb
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Don't even think about it!!

TheCrazedLog
06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I can look at the sun with naked eyes normally... yep it hurts and I can only last a second or two looking at the sun.

With sunnies I can look a little longer. Now... AFAIK that is safe enough... why during an eclipse can you not look at the sun with naked eyes?

Or is my premise false?

Anthony

rumples riot
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Don't be so bloody stupid, looking at the sun always causes damage to the retina. Do not say such stupid things, other people will read this and think that they can do the same.

ballaratdragons
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I totally agree!

The sun does burn the retinas, even just a casual glance.

During an Eclipse, the biggest danger is when the sun reappears by only the slightest limb! Your eyes have adjusted to the darker sun, and then WAMMO!!!! The limb of the sun peeks around the edge and hits a fully open pupil!

Even with sunglasses etc.
With semi-protected eyes, the pupil opens even further.

Fried Eyes time!

iceman
07-12-2007, 09:11 AM
From the Partial Solar Eclipse article (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,448,0,0,1,0):