PDA

View Full Version here: : Just a quick introduction

Kirkus
05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Greetings from California, USA.

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I found IceInSpace after reading your article about astrophotography using a dob (which I found by Googling something). Anyway, I was given an old beat up 3" Bushnell several months ago. The poor thing was rusty and came complete with dents in the tube. It won't stay collimated, the red dot view scope needed a few well placed drops of solder before it would work and the insides of the "GoTo" were so full of corrosion I just disconnected it. But, man oh man, what that thing has shown me.

My new 10" Dob will be delivered tomorrow (one day before our first winter storm is due. LOL), but the Bushnell will never be mistreated again. It's like a poor old lost dog that finally found a loving home.

Most of my free time, before I found the night sky, was spent administering my own website which is dedicated to tennis enthusiasts. I founded it just over three years ago. In fact, we use the same forum software so I already kinda feel at home. It's staffed by some great people, so I've decided to take some time away from it and try my hand at astrophotography. The article that brought me here was a welcome read. Astrophotography with a Dob can be done. Yippee!

The site here looks wonderful, and from the few threads I've read in the forum, you all seem like a very friendly and helpful community. I hope to be back again and again.

Terry B
05-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome from down under.
I hope your enthusiasm continues for a long time.
:welcome:

jjjnettie
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
It's great to have you on board!
Congratulations on the new scope. Let us know how it all works out.

seeker372011
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
welcome and am I am sure you are going to really enjoy your 10 inch dob..do you have dark skies where you live or at least close by?

citivolus
06-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Welcome Kirkus! Your location on the edge of the Pismo dunes definitely has some challenges to observing/scope longevity, such as keeping sand out of your equipment and salt spray. Does your location suffer much from the marine layer? If so, you could probably escape it and some light polution by heading north/inland towards SLO. From what I recall of the hills in that area, there has to be something good around.

On another note, you are probably very well situated there to watch the launches out of Vandenberg. Have you ever tried hauling out your scope for that?

Kirkus
06-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Surprisingly, the last several weeks have shown clearer skies than normal. Unfortunately, surrounding street lights suck up some of the darkness. We've been watching Comet Holmes with 8x binoculars so I guess that's pretty dark. I'm so new to all this, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. LOL.

How fun (and more than a little surprising) to read details about my home! :)

I'm pretty sure the rust I found on the Bushnell was caused in part by the salty air. The marine layer does come in quite often, but oddly enough it's been crystal clear for several weeks now which is out of the ordinary. SLO would be a good bet if too many cruddy nights down here on the coast start getting in the way of my fun, but about another 10 miles North, "over the grade", the elevation sky-rockets. Most local star parties are held up there, so if worse comes to worse, a :45 minute drive should prove useful.

Not only do we watch take offs from Vandenberg, we feel them!! There's never any doubt when a launch is happening. :)

nightsky
06-12-2007, 08:21 AM
G'Day
And :welcome: Central Coast here as well :P but a lot further south ;) Have you be affected by the Bush fires? Good luck with your DOB and clear skies.
Cheers
Arthur

rmcpb
06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Welcome to IIS Kirkus :)

You will just love that 10" dob, lots of mods to do and just fun observing!!

Cheers

Glenhuon
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Welcome to IIS Kirkus.
I've only been here a short time and a friendly, more helpfull bunch you couldn't wish to meet.

Clear Skies
Bill

iceman
06-12-2007, 10:46 AM
:welcome: to IIS! Thanks for your introduction, great to read about you.

A 10" dob is an excellent scope, you'll enjoy it for many years to come. I look forward to your contributions on IceInSpace!

chunkylad
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
G'day Kirkus and welcome to our community.:welcome:

Good luck with your Dob. There are many hours of pleasure to be had with your new instrument. Enjoy!

Clear skies!!!:sunny:

Dave

Kirkus
07-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome.

Received my Dob right on time. Wow. Just wow.

I obviously have a lot of learning to do. For instance, I don't have a clue how to see detail on Mars. All I see it as is a bright orange star. Is it possible to have too much light collection? :)

But, the Orion Nebulae. My goodness. I stared at it for :20 minutes easily. Rather than the fuzzy white splotch I'm used to seeing, I was able to see detailed edges and even faint (very faint) color. Amazing.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and encouragement.

chunkylad
07-12-2007, 08:09 AM
To see planetary detail, you will need to have your telescope well collimated, and you will need good seeing conditions.

There are plenty of articles on IIS explaining both of these concepts.

As Mars nears zenith, later on in the night, you will be looking through much less of Earth's atmosphere, therefore the 'seeing' conditions will improve greatly.

Try also various colour filters to enhance the planet's surface detail. (eg: red, orange or blue)

Cheers