PDA

View Full Version here: : Balance of Side by Side Scopes

Aster
01-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Just thiking aloud, might even be in the wrong forum, not a hanging offence, I hope. :)

Some people had or are having balance problems with having 2 scopes side by side. Like, tracking in RA is OK on one side of the pier but either fast or slow on the other due to one scope being heavier then the other. Being out of balance.

Now, I have been thinking about that whilst hoping to see some stars amongst the clouds.

The following idea is centred around a EQ6, but I can't see why it won't work also on others. Some handyman skill, or friends who have that are required.

Get a aluminium U channel about 100mm x 4-6mm wall thickness. Length depends on the spacing of the scope brackets. At the same time get a couple pieces of flat to brace the ends of the U channel. Attach the dove tail bar to the inside of the U channel, bottom part of the U with 3 or 4 screws. Now, assemble both scopes, everything you wouls use for imaging attached, including scope brackets.

Now temporarily,with G-Clamps, Duct Tape or whatever attach both scopes to either side of the U channel. Move one of the scopes further up or down the U channel, lengthwise, until you have a good balance.
Permanently attach scope rings to either side of the U channel.

By sitting the center of the dovetail, lengthwise, with instruments and all equipment attached, on the edge of a board or similar, balance the lighter one of the scope by placing weigths "evenly" along it's length until balance is achieved.

Replace the orignal locking bolts from the dovetail bar with some hex head bolts just long enough to tighten so the wont interfere with the inside of the U channel. Even your Dec Axis Lock can be adjusted in such way that it can be locked with your fingers with the U channel in place.

You should now have a assembly where the scopes are closer to the centre of the RA axis, putting less stress on the Dec Axis shaft and requiring less counterweigths. Being more stable.

Also, being attached to the sides of the U channel you have a flat piece of around 100mm wide with nothing on it. Maybe another scope, sliding counterweight bar, easely made out of a couple of S/S towel rack brackets and rail etc.

The only problem using this system on some mounts with tripods could be interference when looking straight up at the zenith.

Like I said, just thinking aloud.