PDA

View Full Version here: : cleaning corrector plate LX200

Inmykombi
30-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have experience with cleaning the outer surface of a corrector plate on an Meade LX200.
I need to remove what appears to be finger marks and a build up of moisture marks ( ONLY SLIGHT Marks ) on the exterior.
At first I thought it may have been a small build up of mould, perhaps from packing the scope away too quickly after a nights observing.
But I cant tell what it is, and I hope I can remove the annoying marks with cleaning.
The manual says Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water mixed with one drop of mild detergent.
Is this OK ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

h0ughy
30-11-2007, 10:40 PM
get the jungle juice from Bintel and a couple of microfibre cloths one to use wet the other to dry. that's what i use, I also have the isopropyl alcohol and the distilled water mix but have rarely use it after the Bintel mix. Can also grow hair on your head and cure arthritis!!!

Omaroo
30-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Geoff - there are all sorts of ideas on the concoction to use, but you can save yourself a little hassle by getting specifically-mixed UHTC Cleaning Fluid from Bintel. It may be made up of commonly-available ingredients, but you might find your mind at ease a little more by going with what they've formulated.

When you clean it, use clinical-grade (absolutely no oil or scents) tissue swabs and use small SOFT circular motions as you do the corrector cleaning in segments. Don't over-soak the tissue with fluid. You don't actually need to press at all - just move the paper over the surface while it's barely touching it. Finish one area before you go on to the next. I usually do 1/6th of the corrector in one go before going on to the next. Before the UHTC fluid dries completely, use a fresh piece of tissue to dry it off - just dab LIGHTLY.

It isn't hard, but don't do it too often.

Omaroo
30-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Dang-it Huffster! You're on the ball tonight! :lol:

Inmykombi
30-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks heaps you guys.
I will ring Bintel tomorrow and see how I can get some.

I am just flabbergasted ( hope that doesnt make me sound old....) at the help I am getting on IIS.

Are you guys going to the IIS Christams Observing Night next weekend ?
If you are, I will personally make sure you get a freshly ground drip filter coffee every now and again. As I am taking the machine for the night......:)

Geoff.

Inmykombi
30-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I have also just made 2 x 12 volt dew heaters for the LX200.
I will try them out to see how they work, as soon as these dastardly clouds clear a bit....

I made two heaters so I can cycle them , on and off depending on the level of dew on a given night.

I hope they work...:lol:

Total power consumption of 1 amp. ( 0.5 amps each heater )
Which means I can get 12 hrs from a full charged battery.....

Good thing I dont take photos for a living hey !!!!

Oh, and I could use some hair over a patch that is thinning quickly. So I must try some of that jungle juice.:rofl:

Geoff

Ric
01-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the tip Houghy :lol:

Hi Geoff, I have to agree the Bintel cleaning fluid is great stuff and really does what the label says. Your corrector will come up looking like the day you bought it.

Cheers

turbo_pascale
01-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Have a look here:

http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm

Ignore the bits about making your own concoction - just use the BinTel stuff.

The description of the process though it fairly detailed.

Turbo

Inmykombi
01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks again to all for your help. The Bintel stuff wins hands down.

I wonder if it will cure some baldness ? Can't hurt to try, as long as it doesnt have any side effects....
:whistle:

gbeal
01-12-2007, 08:43 AM
If you recall who it was who suggested the use, then maybe you have answered your own question.

acropolite
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I believe the Bintel stuff is made from the same recipe. I made some before the Bintel stuff became available. By the time I'd bought all the ingredients it cost me well over $40.

astro_nutt
01-12-2007, 07:35 PM
To help control any moisture when packing your equipment away..a few large bags of silica gel placed in the box could help too!

Inmykombi
01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info.
Thats a great idea, I never thought of that at all.

Where can I get silica gel.

And is it also called desicant ?

:thumbsup: