PDA

View Full Version here: : Goto mounts

maksutover
22-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I was thinking of getting a Goto mount to replace my standard EQ5. obviously im in need of advice! what brands are the best and easiest to work with? I have recently heard that new Goto EQ5 saxon mounts have been released. Anyone know about their quality or price range for that matter?

jase
22-11-2007, 06:36 PM
To assist others in providing guidance...

What are your goals? visual only, a bit of photography or all out photography?
An indication of budget will also assist.

Moonman
22-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Have you considered a conversion to your current mount:)

http://myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-330

maksutover
23-11-2007, 09:58 AM
To be perfectly honest, i want a Goto system because im hopeless in finding DSOs via starhopping! and also ive started doing a little webcam mphotograph so a motor drive will be a great help. My budget is pritty limited!! i was acatually going to sell my normal EQ5 mount and then consider buying a second hand Goto.

Terry B
23-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Maksutover

On a different note, how do you find the 200mm mak?
Does it have a fan to help with cooling?
I think it would be not the easiest to star hop if you had a bit of light polution to contend with.

maksutover
23-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Its a good scope but probably a bit more than what i can handle. It doesnt have a cooling fan so i think the summer nights will be annoying. in terms of light pollution, its Las Vegas level in my area but so far ive been primarily interested in planetary observing, but im getting a DSO rush all the sudden!