PDA

View Full Version here: : Using a DSLR with an O-III Filter. You gotta try this!

2020BC
20-11-2007, 10:07 PM
The Canon 350D's peak sensitivity lies almost exactly in the blue-green portion of the spectrum, which by happy chance is where some nebulae emit strongly - at the O-III and H-beta wavelengths.

Using an H-alpha filter with an unmodified DSLR would be like pushing rocks uphill, because the IR filter severely reduces the strength of the H-alpha signal. Not impossible but long effective exposures (a big stack) would be required.

Using an Oxygen (O-III) filter on an unmodified DSLR plays right to the strength of the camera. If you want to try narrowband imaging with an unmodified DSLR then an O-III filter should be your first choice.

If you want to bring out some of those hidden wispy lines of detail then an O-III filter may be the go for you. I'm very pleased with the results of this test.

Many of my astro pics, taken without filters, have large areas of blue-green nebulosity that are clearly emitting a lot of light at the O-III and H-beta wavelengths. So, I bought an Astronomik O-III filter to see if the detail in images (i.e. wispy clouds, etc..) is similar to those ghostly H-alpha shots that we all like. I have to say the results are very pleasing.

An H-alpha sensitive (modded) camera is going to be better all round, and it will capture more nebulosity. It will also let you use H-alpha narrowband, but you've got to think this O-III shot on an unmodded camera is pretty cool.

Check this out.:rofl:I'm calling it the Freak (or Boogey Man) Nebula. See if you can spot the skull.:eyepop: The image is just a stack of three x 4-minute exposures at ISO1600.

Lee
20-11-2007, 10:33 PM
That is scary :scared: - does it have a NGC/IC no???
I'm giving narrowband a first go tonight - Ha with a DSI Pro - so far - AWESOME...... might be some hardly used RGB filters on sale soon!

:doh: Just looked at the pics closely.... disregard.... :D

Ric
20-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Fascinating images Bill, I picked the skull straight away it's very clear for sure.

Top stuff.

Zuts
20-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi Bill,

I use an astronomic UHC narrowband filter under very light polluted skies. This only lets in OIII, Ha, Hb so you get the best of all worlds. Your pics still turn out coloured as well :)

Paul

jase
21-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Interesting work Bill. If only the 350D had an even spectral response across the other key wavelengths. I guess this can be circumvented with longer exposure times at other wavelengths to compensate. Would be interesting to blend some OIII data into conventional RGB images. This is typically done for specific targets such as the Dumbell neb which are rich in OIII information, but typical green and blue colour filters miss the emission line. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Hope to see more of your work.

2020BC
22-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Cheers.

Jase, I'm creating an ORGB or ROO version of the Tarantula nebula. ORGB, if pronounced Orgy-B sounds exciting, and ROO sounds appropriate for southern hemisphere objects. :lol:

ORGB = Oxygen Luminance over RGB
ROO = Normal red with O-III split (green and blue) across G & B channels.

I think this has potential to tease out certain details in similar fashion to what the big boys do with H-alpha on the red channel.

Now, if only these *3@!* clouds would go away. Aren't we supposed to be in a drought or something? :)

citivolus
22-11-2007, 10:27 PM
My Baader 2" OIII filter arrived today along with my WO FF III, time to have some fun :)