PDA

View Full Version here: : Can you autoguide with a Skynix 2.0?

John K
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi guys,

I have seen how people like Mike autoguide with their DMK camera, so just a quick question, if I was to get a Skynix 2.0 camera for planetary stuff, would I be able to use this as an autoguider for deep sky stuff as well?

The camera is a USB 2.0 devise that would plug straight into my laptop and likely to be used with something like Lucam recorder. It will be used with a 12.5" f/5 reflector and an off axis guider.

My laptop does have a parallel port. What other software/accessories would I need?

Look forward to your advice.

John K.

iceman
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
What mount are you planning to use it on, John? I thought you were using a dob, driven by some type of servocat motor? I don't know that they can accept autoguiding?

You need to check that a program like PHD Guiding can use the SkyNyx as a camera. You wouldn't use LUcam recorder.

John K
09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi Mike,

I use an horseshoe equatorial mount with a drive made by Losmandy requiring an ST4 like input.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkazanas/sets/72157594183210993/

I know that K3CCD tools is defenitely compatible with this camera, can K3CCD be used for autoguiding?

iceman
09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, most certainly.

Check PHD Guiding, it would have a list of compatible cameras somewhere on the site.

What's the longest exposure the skynyx can do?

John K
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
goes from 1/1000 to 16 seconds. So in fact I was hoping to do some deep sky work on things like bright planetaries and the core of Eta Carina and Orion as well.