PDA

View Full Version here: : Car Travel with a LX90GPS 8"

faramir
08-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Over the Christmas New year break I am considering taking my telescope along with me on a trip to Melbourne. I hope to stop off at some smaller towns on the way and finally see what dark sky viewing is really like. Unfortunately as I will be traveling between accommodation and various events while in Melbourne there are several days which I know will mean leaving the scope in a locked car all day. At this time of the year it is possible the temperature maybe 40 degree or more. I am wondering what effect a day like this will have on my scope locked in the car. Any advice most welcome.

PCH
08-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi Faramir,

just be careful it's tucked away out of sight, or you may not have to worry about what a day in the car will do to it. Happy travelling :thumbsup:

Cheers

citivolus
09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I suspect that the temperature in the car might not be the real issue, it will be if you want to use it that evening. It may take a while for it to cool down.

The mirrors are not rigid in their cells, and the corrector plate has room around it, so the optics should not be hurt by the temperature. The grease on the gears may decide to flow a bit, but really even at 50C shouldn't really go anywhere. I've heard of SCTs being left in observatories in California and Arizona that regularly hit 50C inside during the day without harm, but this is third hand information so treat it with all the confidence that it deserves.

Eric

mlcolbert
09-11-2007, 08:02 AM
faramir it would also depend upon where you are staying, if at a motel type place, then ask them to place it in a secure room, if at friends or relatives....

Also, when you say that you are going to be at different events, are they in and around melbourne or are you headed towards country victoria?

There may be the possibility of linking up with any of the vic. members of the site who may be happy to hold the instrument for the day.

michael

Kal
09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing the scope will be packed away in a box/case while travelling? As long as there is no direct sunlight on the scope I don't think there will be any problems, but if there is direct sunlight on it then things could definately melt.

coldspace
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi there,

Came across this on the CN forum.

Regards Matt.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1047906/page/45/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

faramir
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks everybody. This has made me feel more comfortable about taking it. Already looking forward to some dark sky observing. Now only have to deal with what the wife will say when she see's whats happended to the luggage space. I think I will wrap it in Christmas paper and tell her that its her Christmas present. This will look pretty impressive and should at least get me far enough away from home that there is no turning back. The next few days might be a bit tense, but gee I wil be spending the evenings outside observing anyway!