PDA

View Full Version here: : Opinion on a Celestron C11 ...

EzyStyles
08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys,

stupid question, i currently have a Celestron NGT 10" F4.7 Newtonian scope. Will there be any 'dramatic' difference in regards to imaging through a C11 + 6.3 focal reducer besides the larger apperture?

So literally, if i add a 2x barlow, it will make my scope F9.2 which will practically be the same thing imaging through a SCT 10" at F9.2??

Cheers

citivolus
08-11-2007, 02:56 PM
You will lose the diffraction spikes and gain primary mirror flop by switching. Your OTA won't cool as fast, but you'll be able to keep dust off the primary. Your OTA will be smaller and more manageable. You will start to hate dew. Collimation will be easier, but you won't be able to collimate the primary.

That is about all I can think of.

netwolf
08-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Also to add to above i think coma would be less due to the corrector.

I believe With the C11 Wide field is limited to smaller chip CCD camera's. As the image circle decreases with more Focal reduction. F6.3 would be ok but the F3.3 reducer would cause vignetting on a large CCD sensors.

Regards
Fahim

iceman
08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Stick with your newt!

sejanus
08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
very narrow FOV with the C11

janoskiss
08-11-2007, 04:29 PM
don't do it Eric!!

EzyStyles
08-11-2007, 04:51 PM
lol guys, i wont i wont :P was just wondering thats all...:whistle:

sejanus
08-11-2007, 04:59 PM
it's a awesome scope for visual

but surely f/10 would be a pain in the butt exposure time/tracking/guiding wise.

rumples riot
08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Cooling an SCT is no longer an issue if you use peltiers. Yes they work, I did it and it cools much faster than putting a newt outside. In fact recently at Broken Hill the scope was cooled from 39 degrees on the mirror to 9 degrees in just under 2 hours. That would never happen with conventional cooling. It does void your warrantee though to install the peltiers. Thorough star testing first is necessary and then when this has passed, then start pulling the scope apart. I have a how to on SCP if anyone is interested.

Yes narrower field of view. The f ratio is not ideal for DSO imaging. Although fine work can be done with them anyway. Mirror flop is less of a problem with the celestron range of scopes than those of Meade. In fact I will go as far as to say they are like chalk and cheese. At high mag 14,000mm I get negilible mirror flop and image shift. Could not say the same for my LX200 10" I had.

If you were planning on imaging DSO, perhaps consider a nice refractor instead.

Zuts
08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi,

I have a C11, it is great for visual and easy to setup. I wouldnt dare image through it though.........until i learn a bit more about imaging with my Meade ED80. Once i do though I cant wait for that image scale, maybe i am wrong but a focal length of 2.8 meters even after a f6.3 reduction would make some mighty fine photos of galaxies and small nebula very interesting.

I got a second hand Lumicon giant easy guider and one day i will use it :)

Paul

gbeal
09-11-2007, 06:39 AM
I'm with the mob, EZY, stick with the newt. I have two and a half at the moment.

g__day
09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Well imaging off a 9.25 SCT has been a fun learning experience for me - I get the feeling quality of mount, especially in terms of tracking and guiding is all important. If your gear can't handle this it may be quite frustrating.

I'm doing things in reverse for no clear reason. Next year I am going to try imaging wide field on the Megrez 80 and use the 9.25 to guide :)

Alchemy
09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
ditto,

havent seen you round for a while, have taken some pics with your 300d did the tarantula a while back. was going to use it on the horsehead last night but got sidetracked with the flame Cheers ALCHEMY

ving
09-11-2007, 01:25 PM
man thats some serious gear you want there...

to think, most of us here will be ale to look back and say we knew you when you were first starting out!

this doesnt answer your question tho... but i really cant help you, i am just amazed at your pics :)