PDA

View Full Version here: : Interesting new mount- Alt/Az portable

allan gould
06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
While reading the latest Sky and Telescope(US edition) I saw an article for the following mount at http://www.ioptron.com/
I thought it looked interesting as its claimed it can take an 8" SCT!!!! and looks very portable. For some time Ive been looking for an alt/az grab and go mount but this also has goto and can have GPS and either 5000, 50000 to 130000 objects in the hand paddle. Looked too good so I contacted the US supplier and it was $US199 but delivery was $US230. Way too much. Eventually with some sleuthing I got onto the chinese manufacturer and asked if they would sell direct. No problems said he and the freight was only $68. So today I forked out just under $AUD300 for a alt/az mount with goto that can take vixen style coupled scopes presumably up to an 8"SCT. When it arrives I'll let you know how it performs. I suspect for the 8" I'll have to use my mafrotto tripod , but for the other small refractors the standard tripod it comes with should be OK.

PS I have the operating manual in ENGLISH if anyone is interested. Just send me an email and I'll send it to you

Campus Dweller
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
This looks really interesting - although I assume the 40" limit for newts and refractors is referring to length not aperture:lol:.

Love to hear how it performs.
Drew

mrsnipey
06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
That's cheap. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Omaroo
06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Looks like an ETX-quality mount. Not sure how good the gearing might be, but interesting at the price you mentioned. Will be very interested in how it is when you get it.

allan gould
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
No - nothing like a Meade etx quality mount from the feedback that I have been getting. Had an etx and got rid of it because of the mount. But the ETX optics were great.
Once bitten on a mount, twice shy.

netwolf
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I had looked into this mount a month or so back for my mate Apoman, he wanted a portable goto mount for his WO66. But we could not find much user feedback to go on. Will be anxiously watching this thread for your first light report.

Regards
Fahim

allan gould
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Just had an email from Ioptron in china. It will take 4 days for the money to clear and another 4 days for the shipment to arrive. Quick and pleasant service. I'll let you know how it all goes.

davewaldo
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
This sounds great! I would be interested in one if it all works out. :)

h0ughy
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.ioptron.com/products_con.aspx?pro=GO%20TO%20MOU NTS&id=18 would seem to be a better option, I hope this works out, they will sell heaps

davewaldo
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
How does the database system work? It says only 5000 objects in database on the website.

Do you need to buy the better hand paddle to get the extra objects, or are all the hand paddles upgradable?

Cheers!

allan gould
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
David
I saw that too, but thought that with the elevation arrangement it might make the unit less stable, so I went with the standard model. I did hear that in February a more robust mount with 18lb carry and in built GPS was coming but I only wanted a small simple mount to carry my WO 80mm triplet and maybe at a stretch the 8"SCT. I think the latter will be in dreamland but the 80mm and 90mmMak are definite and well within the parameters I was wanting.
So in just over a week I'll let you know.
How has your TVGuider panned out? Or is it still in the toy box?
Regards, Allan

allan gould
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Hansets with different databases are purchased at time of buying the mount. AFAIK the hadsets are not upgradeable. Some info from china regards pricing is as follows:-
1) The size of screw link the mount and tripod is M8. I suggest you use our tripod for the first time. Especially for the GPS device, the mount should be stable and horizonal.
2) For #8402, you should add USD$80, and for #8401, you should add USD$100 in the purchase.
3) The price of the #8411 GPS module is USD$ 98 including the shipment.
If you buy the #8800 GPS AltAzi Mounts , the price is FOB USD$290.
Hope tis helps
Allan

Omaroo
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Looking at these a bit more thoroughly they look more and more interesting for my WO66 and Megrez 80.

Maybe they'll see some sense and provide them in either black, white or cream at some stage. I'd thought, thankfully, that the age of the candy-coloured electronic device craze went by-byes about 6 or 7 years ago with the old iMac.

allan gould
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Reading the database set information there are 128 user objects that you can set yourself as RA and Dec but you can put in any alt/az setting and it will goto that input. Also the thing has a synch function (Hoo-bloody-ray) which was what was missing from Synscan for sooo long. Also have space for 64 comets and 64 asteroids - interesting.
As a quick portable Alt/Az I'm looking forward to its capabilities. Also it doesnt have to be all that accurate as an 80mm scope has a fairly wide field of view, lets be honest. But for the same price I could have bought a GSO alt az with no motors, no database and no goto. Even if it tracks reasonably I'm streets ahead

davewaldo
06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
When you put it like that, it makes it very clear how well priced this unit is. :D

Can't wait to hear how you go with it.

Dennis
09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Have a look at this review (http://www.stevenstanek.com/Science/ioptron_review/). If it is for the same mount, the conclusions are worth noting before purchasing a unit.

Cheers

Dennis

allan gould
09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for that Dennis. It appears to be the same mount and most of the conclusions are what I expected. As for the instabilities of the mount, I had intendeed to put the unit on a Manfrotto tripod which may alleviate some of this. To be honest I wanted only a portable Alt/Az mount for the WO 80mm and the goto was purely an unexpected bonus. Anyway Ill see what its like when mine arrives. It could be a goer or a dud. Time will tell.

Omaroo
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Hmm.. as expected I guess.

Maybe you could use it for widefield camera duty?

allan gould
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the only photography I would even contemplate with this would be with a DSI pro to allow for rotation using drizzle function. Anyway it was interesting to see that the celestron AC adapter would work with it and it had me wondering what else would work. StarGPS? Hmmm-------