PDA

View Full Version here: : Article: 16" Lightbridge Modifications

iceman
06-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi all

Peter Batchelor (peterbat) has kindly written an article listing his 16" Lightbridge Modifications.

You can read the article on the IceInSpace Projects & Articles (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/?projects) page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

16" Lightbridge Modifications (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,442,0,0,1,0)

Thanks to Peter for writing the article. If you'd like to submit a review or article to IceInSpace, please Contact Me (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/?contact).

iceman
07-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Article uploaded.

Briz
08-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks for your article Peter, it has given a few ideas I may also try on my 12" Lightbridge.

peterbat
08-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Glad it helped Briz.
When I was researching the Lightbridge I found that the articles and forum postings on IIS were most useful, so I thought I should give something back....

Peter

jakob
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Peter, This is a well written article and will be usefull to many.
Good effort!

I too had some difficulties in handling the size of the base and the Centre of gravity when trying to use the trolley.
I did not want to cut the original base so I just made a new one from plywood as you can see on the attached pics.
The latest addition is the setting circle. I use Pocketstar on my Ipaq to get the positions. This realy helps me because my pevious scope was Goto!

I'm also very happy with the QX 26mm EP.

Jakob

peterbat
03-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi Jakob,
I like the way you've kept the azimuth circle inside the radius of the base, by using a cutout to view the circle. How much adjustment do you have with your setting circle? On mine I need to have it aligned to within +/- 10 degrees of North. I can only adjust it a bit over 20 degrees.

Do you find the new base as stable as the original? Did you stay with the lazy susan arrangement, or did you go to teflon pads and formica?

Peter

jakob
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
The Az circle is a ring, unlimited in adjustment.
I think my base is as stable as the original, I used all the original bearings & fittings.
I don't think the 'Teflon ?' pads ever touched the base. I think the pads are for packing only.

For the Alt bearing I used some felt I had. This was a bit stiff, the I rubbed a bit of soap on the Aluminium surface. Now it is very smoth.

I'm using some lead blocks which hook on the back to balance it. I rarely use the Alt break.

h0ughy
03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Great article - I am now off to bunnings to try and find the planter pot base for the scope. I will be looking at velcro and steel weights to offset the finder scope I have and the telrad. The 24mm Ultrawide and 34mm superwide 2" meade eyepieces are a tad heavy, so balance will be a big thing. I am not sure as to the function of the brake without doing damage to it, after all aluminium is a really soft metal. Once again - a great article!

astronut
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Houghy,
The brake is a good idea, IF you balance the scope first.
Without balancing first, the brake is too small to hold the mass of the scope.
Balanced it will hold the scope from running, allowing comfortable viewing.:thumbsup:

BTW if the brake material is plastic, remove it immediately.
After not much use it will gouge the aluminium.
This happened to mine not long after I bought it.
Don at Bintel, not only sent me the new brake material (teflon) but replaced the bearings!!