PDA

View Full Version here: : Managing / transporting a Celestron CPC925 or 1100

Inmykombi
04-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me how easy ( or difficult ) it is to move and handle a Celestron CPC 925 or 1100.
I am thinking of geting one after using an 8 inch Newt. for years, and I jkinda want a big scope to do me for many years.
Is the scope fork arm heavy to handle and set up onto the tripod?

Any commenst would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

casstony
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
The best way to get an idea is to assemble 65 pounds of weight and try carrying it around the yard, through the door , etc. If you're fit and strong with no back problems you won't have any trouble with the weight. I could only move such a scope if it was on a trolley due to joint problems.

Inmykombi
04-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the comments so far,

I presume by 65 pounds you mean that the entire scope weighs 65 pounds ( 30 kilos ).
If the two halves are separated, ie; the OTA fand fork mount removed from the tripod. I am hoping that they may be easier to move and set-up.

Anyone have any experience or more comments ?...they are welcome.

Geoff

coldspace
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I have lifted the cpc11 onto tripod myself a few times in the past. I found it heavy but managable. I am a large guy though and lift alot of heavy things at work everyday so a smaller person would have a bit of trouble. The cpc9.25 would be lighter but I have not used one before. The cpc series has good ergonomic handles and the mounting system onto the tripod is well thought out for a large scope. Go and see if you can manage one at a shop first if you can. If you do alot of veiwing with other people then the 11 would be a piece of cake for two people. I had problem when deciding between the 10 or 12 inch meade scope. I went for the 12 because most of the time I will be viewing with other people but on the odd occasion I am by myself I can still lift it up onto the tripod. Some people have made a sling type thing using webbing such as an old seat belt strap to place around shoulders and through the scope to ease the burden when carrying. Also a bit of insurance when mounting in case you might drop it. Hope this helps.

Regards Matt.

Dennis
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi

I have a C9.25 optical tube only, and it is easy to carry and handle, via an ADM rail which I fitted to the top. Without this rail, it was awkward to lift the OTA out of its box before I could then grab the small handle fitted to the back of the mirror cell.

Generally, OTA’s in that range are reasonably light and not too awkward to handle, carry and mount, provided you are of average fitness and don’t have any back or other lifting injuries.

I guess an OTA fixed to a fork may be more awkward than just plain heavy. That is, the dead weight may not be a problem in itself, but the centre of gravity, balance and position of the handles make may it cumbersome and awkward to handle, lift and fit on the tripod?

Can you get along to a showroom and gauge the size, weight etc?

Cheers

Dennis

coldspace
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I think the weight for the cpc11 ota and fork assembly is around 24 kgs. The tripod is extra. Call a dealer for exact weights on the various componets. The CPC series are lighter than the Meade scopes. The CPC11 is lighter than the 10 inch Meade LX200R so if you are fit and reasonbly strong then you will manage the 11 if not carrying it to far. When on the tripod though it will probally take two to move around.

Regards Matt.

casstony
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
The cpc11 fork and ota are about 65 pounds without the tripod. A lighter fork mount alternative is the Meade 10" LX90 which is about 50 pounds for the fork and ota.

Inmykombi
04-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Wow,
It does sound a little heavy.
I will take that advice and look around in a showroom before I commit to one.
For those who have one ( CPC1100 ) how are the optics?

Is it possible to split double stars nicely ?
Oh and do they track sattelites like Meade scopes can ?

Geoff.

sejanus
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I owned a cpc1100 and I was really shocked how heavy it was. It was manageable to lift the ota up onto the base but it was not something I enjoyed. I think if I owned the scope long term a buggy would have been a must - that way you could leave it permanently assembled and just wheel it out.

It's mostly the forks from memory that weigh a fair bit - I also used to own just the OTA itself on an equatorial mount and the OTA by itself is quite light.

The optics on it were great though, no complaints at all in that area.