PDA

View Full Version here: : Bino camera?

Orion
26-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I know it might sound silly but hey:shrug:

I was letting my mind wonder asking myself if there was a way to use a camera with big binos.
Would it be possible to merge both images together for imaging purposes?

Would there be an advantage to doing this?

dannat
26-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I think it is possible - I have taken shots from both eyes (not thru binos) to compile a 3d image of the subject I was taking - thru photoshop or gimp(free) you can mess with the rgb channels and then add the two pics together to produce a 3d image - using 3d glasses you can get some reasonable lokking 3d effects - if you didn't use 3d glasses don';t know what kind of result you are getting

sheeny
26-10-2007, 03:48 PM
G'Day Ed.

What did you hope to achieve, a 3D view or something else?

I toyed with this idea a bit as a possible way to image the ISS - say with the ToUcam on one EP using Afocal projection and use the other EP for guiding, and possibly a strategically supported monopod to steady the shakes. I did start playing with this, and struck problems setting up the afocal projection and camera mount and haven't got back to it since...:rolleyes:

For 3D viewing/images I'm sure it could be done with a bit of fiddling. I met a guy back in 1993 when we were teaching the crew at the Parkes Radio Telescope some vertical rescue stuff on the dish. This guy's hobby was 3D images. He had two SLR's set up on a rack. He would take the same shot on each camera to produce two slides of the same subject from slightly different view points. He then displayed the images from two projectors set the same distance apart. I can't remember if he did anything with filters on the projectors/cameras to make it work with 3D glasses, or whether that wasn't necessary - I have a feeling that wasn't necessary:shrug: but I'm a bit vague on the details now...

I doubt the spacing of binocular objectives would be wide enough to give a 3D effect on an astro image though:shrug:... I don't think there would be any other advantage in using the different oculars...

Al.

Karls48
26-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Would not it increase resolution? If you have two 10’’ tubes and combine image into one camera (thru sort of binoviewer upside down), should not it have resolution of 20’’ scope? But, not light gathering ability of 20’’ scope.
I was considering something like that using two 4’’ refractors. Biggest problem is in combining two light beams. By using two right angle diagonals and beam splitter, light path become too long and scopes cannot reach focus.

Orion
27-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi Al.
I didn't really want to achieve anything it was just a thought.
I was thinking more in line with the resolution factor.

The 3D view never came to mind. Interesting though.

CoombellKid
27-10-2007, 06:57 AM
If you put a camera on each side then you could cut your imaging time
doing LRGB

regards,CS

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi CoombellKid,

Most likely it would take longer. You are dividing the the original light path into two %50 light paths therefore, double the exposure time needed than usual. I could be wrong though.

Regards...

bojan
12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, combining two images (provided there are no losses) would result in increased brightness (or speed, by 1 f-stop). Theoretically, the resolution will be increased depending on the distance of lenses but only in the direction determined by centres of objective lenses.
However, how to achieve this, I am not sure... the two optical paths (images) must be perfectly aligned for this to have any useful effect.
Personally, I wouldn't bother. It is easier to use faster (or bigger) lens