PDA

View Full Version here: : Collimating outside?

DJVege
25-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Hey guys,

I wanted to find out how you guys collimate outside (and in the dark). I can collimate inside, cause I point the scope at a white wall and i can see the centre spot etc...through my cheshire. But outside...I can't see anything helpful for collimation. Do you just put a white piece of paper in front of your scope? And a torch in front of that??

Thanks.

Can I also vent my frustration about these damn clouds! Seriously...RAIN, or just **** off!!

bird
25-10-2007, 09:53 AM
DJ,

I collimate outside, using the catseye tools and a red torch + a red barlowed laser makes it very easy to do.

cheers, Bird

astro_nutt
25-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I let the scope cool down for an hour or so..then..after the Sun has sunk below the horizon..use my Cheshire cross-hair followed by the laser..if in darkness..the laser only..
And yes you can vent your frustration about the clouds vocally into a pillow..just be careful no-one uses it to rest their head on and hear voices thinking they're possessed..LOL!!!..sorry..I couldn't help it!!
Cheers!!

SMR
26-10-2007, 10:16 AM
What sort of Cheshire eyepiece are you using? Mine has a hole on the side of the tube with a 45 degree mirror. That's there so you can shine a red torch down towards the centre marker.

Perhaps you're using a sight tube, rather than a Cheshire? If so, buy a combo sight tube/Cheshire and you'll find it easy.

Steve.

DJVege
27-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I only have a cheshire...similar, if not the same, as the one you described with a 45 degree thingy. (Is there a mirror in there? I only see a 45 degree metal thing with a hole). I'll try flashing a torch down there.