PDA

View Full Version here: : Rough as guts light flats box for digital imaging - the UGLY box

h0ughy
21-10-2007, 10:57 PM
OK this is crude, and not for the faint hearted. I am sorry if this project assaults your senses.

I took a sheet of 5mm white glossy foamcore, an arlec 80led 6V battery light set, some sticky tape and duct tape, a sharp box knife and a steel 1m ruler and came up with this monstrosity. At first I was going to use a table decoration set for the lighting but realised it was way to bad for even light within the box, So i rectifed that by using the 80 white LED thingy from Arlec - all items from Bunnings. the led's and battery cost me 39 dollars, the foam core from an art supplies shop cost 9 dollars, the rest well no idea it was at home. total time to make - about 1 hour

I have a black cloth to throw over the whole lot out in the field and tie off with an occo strap around the scope so no stray light. Need to make a field stop for the scope - next part of the project
it is functional - just have to make the bits to pretty it up so I can use it with the LX200R and the R200SS and the ED80 and any of the camera lenses.

took a shot of a test flat too and the inside showing the difference between the walls and the base.

So is it rough, cheap and nasty, but I hope since this is the MK1 there will be improvements:lol::whistle:

Dennis
22-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Hey H0ughy

Well done, looks like it does a good job from the flat field you posted. Nice idea using the LED light chain, should help with an even distribution of light inside the box.

Make sure that no direct light falls onto the OTA opening; you only want reflected light from the upper walls and top of the box which should be quite even. I fitted an internal baffle at the OTA end slightly higher than the top of the LED’s so no LED can shine on the aperture.

Cheers

Dennis

Lee
22-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Nice one mate - no, not pretty, but will do the job it is meant for..... which part of the box do you point the scope at - the top as shown in the pic of the finished box??

gbeal
22-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Yep, ugly it is. But if it works, who cares. I built one a while back for the TSA102, and then sold it. Now I am trying to work out whether to go Mk2 for the 8" newt. or just open it up. Decisions.

h0ughy
22-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks Dennis,
I am yet to work that little technicality out - trial and error on this one. I thought about a stiff foam cut out to match the outer tube of the scopes and slip that around the end before attaching the box. Will also put Velcro tags on it to hold the top to the scope. it is surprisingly light(no pun intended):whistle:

h0ughy
22-10-2007, 07:32 AM
the base of the box on the inside

iceman
22-10-2007, 07:34 AM
hmm looks good Dave, I look forward to seeing the results and how well it works.

You might get at least one order out of it.. if it does work ;)

h0ughy
22-10-2007, 07:35 AM
my next one might be for the ed80/camera and leave this one for the 10" and the 8" scopes?:shrug:

Yep its UGLY, LOL could market it as an Ugly box:lol:, after all it worked for sunglasses:D

h0ughy
22-10-2007, 07:37 AM
:rofl:I love the confidence you have in me Mike:whistle:

Orion
22-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I myself have faith in you Houghy. Your ingenuity and the thoughtful way you achieve what you want with the things you have on hand and also not spending to much $.....I only have one question though........

:P What the bloody hell is it! :lol: :lol:

Nice work, I hope it does what you want it to do:thumbsup:

h0ughy
22-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Ed let me enlighten you:rofl:, it is a flat field box for astro imaging, show you when we next meet;)