PDA

View Full Version here: : Gap filler for rings??

DJVege
11-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey guys,

My rings have arrived and are too big, so I need to fill the gap. It's a good 5mm on each side at least that needs to be filled.

Any suggestions on filler? I was just going to get some sort of foam from Clarks Rubber. Good idea? Bad Idea?

Thanks.

acropolite
11-10-2007, 05:21 PM
My local marine store has good quality black neoprene (sticky backed on one side) foam 10mm width in various thicknesses, I bought some 8mm, that would probably do fine for what you want, I suggest you make it down to your local marine supplies store.

citivolus
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Clark Rubber has the neoprene too.

Depending on how "pretty" you want it and your resources, you could also build something from brass, PVC, or machined aluminium. See http://www.pbase.com/benhua/dr125_ed80 for an example.

Eric

DJVege
12-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys! I'll have a look for that neoprene stuff on Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll have the scope up and running in time for AstroRons!!

:thumbsup:

iceman
12-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Just be careful.. if the rubber doesn't "grab" properly, you could find your scope slipping out when pointing at the zenith.

DJVege
12-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll make sure make the foam is thick enough to apply enough pressure on the tube, but not too much to dent it! :) I'll do the "point at zenith" test, as well.

Cheers!