PDA

View Full Version here: : Should I replace my standard Meade tripod with an EQ6?

lineout
11-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm debating with myself as to whether I should get a wedge or replace my entire LX90 tripod with an EQ6.

One more thing. Can I plug the meade Autostar hand device into the EQ6?

Cheers.

MortonH
11-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Before making this decision, you should consider that you would have to remove the OTA from the fork mount. While this is apparently pretty easy, it seems to be very difficult to get the OTA back into the forks and properly aligned, should you wish to do so at a later date. There was a thread on this a week or so ago, I think.

Are you looking to do prime focus photography through the SCT? If it's only for piggybacking (either a wide angle camera or perhaps with a small scope like an ED80) then I think many people are happy to use the wedge.

I've certainly used a wedge in the past with a Celestron C8 and got decent tracking.

I'm sure there will be others with more first-hand experience of these things that will offer useful tips.

Morton

lineout
11-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Actually that's a good point. I hadn't even considered that I'd need to take the OTA out of the forks. looks like a wedge would be the way to go then.

Cheers

mick pinner
11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
l have been using an LX200 on a wedge for quite a while now and l find the tracking fantastic, l personally cannot see any advantage with an EQ mount.

smersh
11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
My LX90 on a wedge is great (for me with guiding) and for $280 I would recommend you not mess around with anything else