PDA

View Full Version here: : New Comet -- C/2007 T1 McNaught

ngcles
10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi All,

Good news everyone!

Many of us are looking forward to C/2007 F1 Loneos this year which will be a respectable, almost certainly naked-eye comet that will grace the western sky in Scorpius during the last few days of October and November this year. It is likely to reach somewhere between magnitude 5 to 3 and might sport a nice little tail.

Well, here's the even better news!

Today in IAUC 8877, Comet C/2007 T1 (McNaught) was announced. The _very_ preliminary orbital elements are here:

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/2007T1.html (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/2007T1.html)

It is very difficult to tell how this comet will perform at this stage but given that it has a quite close perihelion approach of about 0.3 AU, I don't think it will be a faint comet. Please note the orbital elements are very preliminary and the track might shift as they are further refined. Greg B, whaddya reckon about the prospects for this new comet?

The present elements have the tracks of these two comets crossing in Scorpius on or about 10th November. On the evening of 9 November they are about 2 degrees apart near Epsilon Scorpii.

Is it possible that we will have two naked eye comets only 2 degrees apart? The 9th November is a Friday night, on a New Moon weekend -- could we ask for more, or is this just an invitation for it to cloud over and piss-down raining for a month?

Wooohooooo!!!!

Best

Les Dalrymple
Contributing Editor
AS&T

Lee
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Sounds too good to be true...... fingers crossed though!

Greg Bryant
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
The published orbit today for C/2007 T1 (McNaught) is based on an observed arc of less than 9 hours (there was certainly some excitement last night as people rushed to try to confirm Rob's discovery to allow the subsequent announcement).

They don't get much more preliminary than that! Let's see what unfolds in coming days.

Ric
10-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Cool sounds like a great night of the 9th. lets hope it all comes together.

Cheers

h0ughy
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
WOW now that will make for a lovely picture, now all I need now is the side by side losmandy bars and I can swing the g11 into action on this one, what a photo opportunity

jjjnettie
10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm excited.:D
Cloud? Pack the family in the car and drive till you hit clear skies. That's what I'd do.

h0ughy
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
no leave the family - more room for the gear;)

jjjnettie
10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Come on, hubby was reading over my shoulder.