PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron CG-5 Mounts

kosh
09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know much about the Celestron CG5 Goto EQ mounts?

Andrews have them for $999 and I have a 10" GSO dob that I wouldn't mind mounting on the CG5. I'm not sure whether it would be too heavy or not but the 8" & 10" newts from Guan Shen are actually sold on en EQ5 so I was hoping. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers.

[1ponders]
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
The CG5 would probably carry it (just) as long as you didn't want to do deepsky imaging through it, but you need to be aware that the standard 8 and 10" newts are smaller in diameter than the Dob tubes. A set of 10" standard rings (285mm) will not fit a 10" Dob (GS about 300mm+ diameter). And I believe they are also slightly lighter than a standard dob tube (though I can't remember where I came by that info and can not find it on the net. Maybe someone can weight on for me).

[1ponders]
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Just found an email I received from Steve Massey from Myastroshop (www.myastroshop.com.au) about the 10" Skywatcher with finder, rings and dovetail and it comes in at 14.5 KG. That would really be pushing the limit of the CG5 especially having to stop the movement of the scope at the end of a goto.

If you can go without goto then the HEQ5 at around $1000 would be a much better option, but even then you would be pushing it with a 10" for imaging.

If you are just thinking about visual work then keep your dob and get an Argo Navis at a much less a price.

kosh
09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
thanks for that 1ponders.

Unfortunately I really would like to start dabbling in photography that's why I thought of it.:(

I suppose I can buy the complete set and get the C6-SCT on the CG5 mount for $1999 and possibly use a focal reducer for the photo work? That's the price of a HEQ6 GOTO mount alone!

I have to admit, I did hope that if the CG5 would take the dob, I could have the light bucket for visual for the time being, and the smaller SCT for photo added later.

All these question have probably been asked 100 times before, but how much is the Argo system?

charsiubau
11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think the CG5 GT mount is suitable for a 10 inch Newtonian. I have a Celestron 9.25 inch SCT on it and it's fine for visual but near its limit - I wouldn't want to put on anything heavier, and a 10 in Newtonian is longer as well as heavier.

Argo Navis pricing is at http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/offlinepurchase.html. You need the encoders as well as the computer.

dugnsuz
11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Hello...
I use a CG-5 clone - Skywatcher EQ5 GoTo mount mainly for astrophotography. I have an ED80 and an AOE 80mm guidescope mounted on top of it. I think for photography I'm at the limit for this mount. In fact, now I wish I'd bought a HEQ5 or EQ6 as the mount is the foundation of the system. But, for the moment I'm pretty happy with the EQ5 GoTo - it has PEC correction and other features like the Celestron, and it handles the load I'm putting on it well. But remember...

Dodgy mount = dodgy pix!!

I think an 8" would be the max for this mount to comfortably handle - for visual stuff only.

All the best, sorry to burst your bubble re the 10" on the CG5...you would be in a world of hurt!!:P
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

g__day
12-10-2007, 12:26 AM
I used a CG5 carrying a 9.25" SCT and a heavy Megrez piggybacked on top. It took 17 Kgs of weights to counterbalance it. On a permanent peir in a sheltered astro-lab it could perform (auto-guided astro-imaging) - but I felt it was right at the limits of its capability.

With the longer tube of the 10" Newtonian you would have more angular momentum on gotos to handle, and if it where exposed to the wind it would be hard to manage. I wouldn't think it would be rigid enough. In a sheltered spot you might just get by.

The mount is really the heart of any imaging system. I reckon a good rule of thumb is 50% of budget for the mount, 25% OTAs and 25% CCDs and focusers.

In its price bracket the CG5 is great value. The mount that would really handle all you want well is probably the Vixen Sphinx SXD - which new is around $2,800 - but there was a second hand one in the forums for $2,200 http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23576 - which is a brilliant buy!

You need not only carrying capacity, but pointing, periodic error handling, auto-guiding capability and brilliant tracking. It's alot easier to achieve that in spades in the $2,500 - $3,000 band, below this there are too many compromises once your skill get past its first 1-2 year of experience in my opinion.

kosh
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
POP!!!

Yep the bubble has definitely burst. :sadeyes:

That's the issue with astronomy especially imaging, like quicksand, the more you try to save, the worse everything gets!

As above, i was hoping for it to be and intermediate step so that I could utilize the mount (even only for visual) for a few months until I saved some pennies for a nice relatively light OTA like a 6-8" Celestron SCT or possibly a 90-102mm refractor. Andrews are selling the 6" celestron SCT OTA seperate for $999 but only for a limited time supposedly so who knows...

I could get a HEQ6 GOTO (Skywatcher i think) from bintel for $1999 which they have advised would be fine with the 10" GSO but the whole rig would be a little to big and heavy to drive around easily.

Thanks for all your input guys, really appreciate it.

Now can anyone actually tell me whether the Celestron CG-5GT is actually any good? I may aim for a Christmas purchase for the lot, but i've read that the CG-5 is of poor quality, needs sanding and greasing just to get it to a half decent standard in one review, and another says that it's a good mount?
Does anyone actually have any experience with the mount or know much about it?

Cheers Goran.

g__day
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Goran,

Can we tell you if its any good - that's what we were doing. Have we actually used it - yes for myself to astro-image on a rig heavier than your target.

If you could get a HEQ6 GOTO (which which controller - the old version 2?) you have a mount with 1/3 the tracking performance (measuring all critical PE) of a second hand, practically mint condition Sphinx SXD - which would be lighter and more portable.

The CG5 may just barely cut it. If conditions are adverse you'll end up swearing at it alot. It can do what you want - in the very best of conditions with alot of tender loving care. The EQ6 has 50% more carrying capacity - but its tracking ability - measured by PE is only the same as a CG5 - around 25 arc seconds peak to peak in one revolution of the RA gears. The Vixen Sphinx SXD is around 7 arc seconds peak to peak (raw untrained) and will carry that load for astro-imaging quality sturdiness - even in less than ideal conditions. In a wind say over 10 knots any small rig - will struggle. The CG5 would give up the ghost on that platform in a 3 knot wind.

For short duration shots in good conditions with a large, long tube - say under 3 minutes - the CG5 can do it. On ideal conditions you might get up to 5 - 6 minute shots, possibly more. With these parameters you can shoot many targets in your backyard, and alot more at a dark site with great skies.

Faint object requiring really long shots 20 minutes - several hours won't readily be possible - but its unlikely you go that route on your first mount for imaging anyway.

Visual viewing only - the mount could just handle the C11 SCT - which is a beast. Imaging on this rig would be streching things too far.

So if you learn imaging like me or way faster, you might be happy with it for 2 years or less. Beyond that you'll trade it in - find its re-sale is real limited and realise the $2K - $3K or $5-$7K range is where alot more capability is apparent. The sphinx SXD competes squarely against the high class G8 with Gemini goto added - say a $4,000 - $4,400 mount that would allow you with care to do imaging if the skies where right for 20 minutes - 2 hours on that rig.

So if its a budget purchase - and you happy to learn use it for two year, out grow it find you can sell it second hand for $500 - well the CG5 should work. If I where in your shoes I ask around and if folk agree with what I tell you - in the blink of an eye I'd snatch the second hand sphinx deluxe which is a five times better quality mount at only at double the price of a brand new CG5. The Sphinx might last you 4-6 years into the journey of astro-photography.

Having bought (third hand) the model up from the Sphinx SXD - the Atlux, I can say Vixen and Takahashi are absolutely premium brands and you remember the joy of effortless capability long after the price sting fades. With the CG5 - the exact one you are considering - its a basic entry model. You're comparing Hans Solo against Bruce Lee in a fist fight.

Hope these thoughts help you!

Matt

JohnG
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
If it is your plan to get into astrophotography, the best bit of advice I can give you is to get the best mount you can afford, put your money into that one item and you won't go wrong.

Cheers

dugnsuz
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
I have the Skywatcher clone...
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=122&class1=3&class2=304
I like it, I would imagine the Celestron to be a very similar beast!
I image with it using an ED80, check out my most recent pic...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24788
All is possible!!
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

kosh
13-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Sorry matt, I was reading the previous posts as a general advice on the pairing of the GSO OTA i have and the mount not the mount itself.
My mistake.

If I have to spend above $2000 and still have no OTA then i'll just have to enjoy pushing the Dob for visual for a while yet.
I take your point though, I just don't have the moula right now.:(

Nice photo doug!

Thanks all.