PDA

View Full Version here: : DIY Wedge on A.S.I.G.N.

bloodhound31
26-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi all,

A nice fellow asked for a design for a wedge for his SCT, so while I was at it, I thought I would go the whole hog and add it to the DIY page on the A.S.I.G.N. Observatory website.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/DIY.aspx

Its a start, a good guide and open for as many modifications as your skills and imagination will allow.

I hope it comes in handy for those looking to move onto astrophotography.

This is a simple and rigid wedge, that will get the job done.

Cheers,

Baz.:D

AndrewJ
26-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Gday Baz

Nice simple design.
One comment re loadings/deflections under load
You appear to have the sidebars bolted to the baseplate and the lat plate is effectively hinged sitting in space, ie the whole load is taken by the two bolts in the latitude plate.

If the Lat plate "sat" on top of the baseplate, ie rehinge it so the sidebars just guide it and the load is taken along the edge of the plate, it will make a much more solid joint with no loss of function.

Andrew

PS, if you want a more complicated wedge :-),
have attached a few piccies of what i am working on now.
This is the MKII version with more clearance for an imaging train.
I intend to motorise it so it will auto polar align ( thats the dream )

Ric
26-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Nice plans Baz, it could be a good option for those of us who are being restricted by the high cost of a commercial wedge.

What would you estimate the average cost would be in comparison to a commercial model which is currently around $1000.

Also I must say your website is looking great now, you've put a lot of work into it and it's really paid off.

Cheers

bloodhound31
26-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks Ric, good of you mate.

As I said, it is a basic design for somewhere to start. I reckon it would cost no more than about 50 or 60 dollars, depending on where you get your offcuts. Cheaper if you are resourceful. Im sure this can be made out of steel as well, if that is more readily available.

Baz.:D

Ric
26-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Baz, I'll have to have a chat with my brother in law, when it comes to metalworking he's the expert.

Cheers :)