PDA

View Full Version here: : Astronut Astroman, who else has considered their Siebert recommendations?

samartha
14-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Shri Swami Samartha
Hallo friends, Many little conspiracies on the net seem to be played against the Siebert optics in the US, as on the other hand they are compared to the Pentax and Televue.
As I see only astronut and astroman bought and recommend the Siebert eyepieces and barlows. Who else has bought them? John and Andrew, only you have purchased them over here? Is there anyone who bought them over Jon's and Andrew's recommendations?
John and Andrew, can you link or show me the astro-images taken through the siebert optics? Good wishes, see you, sincerely Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

Omaroo
14-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Wasn't aware of any "little conspiracies" as such. May I ask what you base this on?

I've looked through astronut's Siebert EPs a bunch of times and thoroughly enjoy the experience every time. They seem to give views just as good as any EP I've seen through. I appreciate the weight savings too as the barrels are made from high quality aluminium. I'm not aware of him ever using his current scope for astrophotography.

Astroman
14-09-2007, 06:22 AM
I was reasonably happy with my Siebert 3x Barlow, that was until I put it up against a 2x Barlow from Bintel. Maybe the barlow didnt match the optics I was using, not sure, but every time I used it I couldn't focus on Jupiter properly and would always get an image that was blurry and not much detail seen. When I put the 2x Barlow in from Bintel, immediately I saw a great improvement. On DSO it was fine, but for some reason it wouldn't work on Jupiter. I am not going to hide and say I liked it, the real fact is I wouldn't buy anything else from him if the optics were anything like the Barlow. Come to think of it, I am not even sure if it was a TRUE Siebert Barlow, given the circumstances that led me to get it.

I ordered my 1.25" 3x Siebert Barlow from a certain seller of these optics here in Australia. I waited, waited, and waited for this thing to arrive, I waited some more, increasingly getting more frustrated and sent numerous emails to the seller and was almost ready to blow a valve, when it arrived. Immediate thoughts, "what a heap of crap" The machining was substandard, it looked as though it was turned up on some backyard lathe, with no identification markings, besides 3x on the side. The packaging was just a Bolt case with some bubble wrap. I was stupid to have accepted it, I should have sent it back and asked for my money back, but I didn't and persevered with it.

So as you can guess I am a little taken back about this company, but I am not sure it was their fault completely. Still I have not tried their Eyepiece range, from what I have heard about their eyepieces is they are pretty good.

samartha
14-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Hallo,
Not his conspiracies. Some people are trying to fail his impression down by posting very negative reviews about Harry Siebert's products.
Oh Andrew, by seeing your past review, I thought you liked it very much. Why didnt it focus on only Jupiter? All other objects were sharp?
Thank you for telling.
see you any more people, Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

astronut
14-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Ketan,
I'm using the "Premium" level of Sieberts line of optics.
The eyepieces are the Ultra line (17mm + 9mm) and the barlow is the 2X Telecentric, all are 2" barrel size.
I agree with Andrew the outside finish of the barrels are plain but..........I look "through them" not at them.
I've looked through a lot of high quality e/p's and with that in mind, I can say that this level of Siebert's optics are as good as any of them, at a substantial lesser cost.
So far as purchasing, I came across the same problem as Andrew from the Australian supplier. So I purchased mine direct from Harry Siebert.
Given the chance would I purchase Siebert's again? YES!!

So far as conspiracies go, I understand your thinking. There are a lot of negative thoughts on this product.
It's brought about by the unexciting name (It's not Pentax, Televue etc) and the plain appearance of the items, unfortunately for the detractors they don't have a look at the total picture.

Omaroo
14-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Just a thought... people aren't confusing "Siebert" and "Seben" (eBay) are they?

samartha
14-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Hmmmmmm hallo friends, Ok then I wish I get the best of them. Because once I buy, will be forever. Not many trips will occur to US.
Hallo Omaroo, I think they do not seem to confuse with Seben, because I am talking about the Siebert in USA.
But about the looks, don't they look creative? something different than the other sophisticated colors anodizing, and rubberization. thanks, see you, Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

Astroman
14-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Apparently when I got mine they were in the process of changing over to a new CNC machine for the barrel components, maybe I got a dud optic aswell, I will never know as I have passed this Barlow on now. I have looked through only one Eyepiece from memory, I think, not exactly sure but the views were very pleasant. I think my main stick was the delivery, not the optics, although maybe I was expecting too much than my optical system could deliver..

samartha
15-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Shri Swami Samartha
Hallo :)
Ok Andrew, thank you for clearing it out.
John, do you have astro pictures taken through the Siebert eyepieces? may be you have some links around here?
see you, sincerely Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

samartha
22-09-2007, 05:58 AM
John,
Are most of the photos at macastro.org taken with Siebert eyepieces and barlow?
see you, Ketan
Shri Swami Samartha

samartha
22-09-2007, 04:49 PM
hmmm,
ok I was just after you because you have been recommending those eyepieces at various places. I thought you considered them so well, that your photography might also be through them.
Why images on Siebert website?
I don't know and I wonder, why you did not do it..
I know the comparison that is shown on the Siebert website., but still wanted to see results from frequently recommending users like you. Thats why I asked.
Such type of ignorance and incomplete reviewing makes the brands like these, wrongly impress as some television channel products.
good wishes, see you, Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

Omaroo
23-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I thought I'd answered this....

samartha
23-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Hallo Omaroo are you John's friend or assistant? or belong to some same group? :D .. it seems so. I didnt know you were talking about him. But you were talking about eyepieces? you didnt seem like that.
I am talking about Using the ''''Siebert eyepieces and barlow'''' to the scope and then photographing through it, not his 'current scopes'.
Thats what I was asking dear Chris, why didn't he or you use any of those eyepieces for imaging(the images that are shown on the website)?
good wishes, Ketan.
Shri Swami Samartha

Omaroo
23-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Look, "dear" Swami.... I'n not sure why you are, but if you want to get cute here I can get just as cute. ;) I didn't "seem like" what exactly?

Maybe not all of us are interested in astrophotography - and just want the equipment for visual use. And yes, we are in the same "group" and I've never seen John at any field event with a camera pointed at his eyepiece.

samartha
25-09-2007, 01:14 AM
ohh, hmmmm.
cute is bad :O ?
I thought the real evidence of the eyepiece quality would be to see a photo taken through them. And I saw the photos on your websites, but unfortunately not through Siebert. :)
ok thank you for telling Chris (or strongly possibly his wife).
good wishes, sincerely Ketan.